Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lucas oil stabilizer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Jun 13, 2005.

what are spme oppinions and pros and cons of this stuff?
    also how much do you add to your crankcase
    thankz

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i added a bottle, with some thicker oil, because i was loseing psi at adle, prob bad berings.

that stuff if THICK like molassis in the winter, it took forever to get it to drain!!!1!

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Lucas is cheap crap. Main ingredient is PIB, or Poly Iso Butelyne, along with mineral oil / brightstock carrier. Lab tests I've seen indicate that a 15-40 base oil becomes a 20-70 when the Lucas is added.

PIB can't handle combustion temps and ends up in the bottom of the pan after a short time. The brightstock makes sludge. Since the Lucas has no additives, the additives in the base oil become diluted.

The bottle says it improves power and fuel efficiency, but that's hard to believe considering it's an oil thickener. If the engine has to work harder, where's the efficiency?

Since the oil is now thicker, you'll have more pressure at operating temperature, but thick oil when the engine is cold means slower starting and lower initial oil pressure.. since the additive that supposedly eliminates dry starts ( PIB) is at the bottom of the pan anyway, you're just wearing your stuff out quicker.

Tom

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Wow, according to that article all 3 of our trucks should have blown up 50k miles ago :smirk:

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You ever see that one Lucas display that has the oil stabilizer on the geared wheel on top and regular oil on bottom all I have to say is "parasitic power loss" :D

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If ya search back a few years, there's even more feedback on the product.

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

yeah if you spin it fast enough with your hand it foams up as well.

when oil foams the oil pump cant pump it.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I will never put that stuff in my engine! Recently, my brother changed his oil and added in 1 quart of lucas oil stabilizer. After starting the truck and letting it run for a while, he shut it off. The very next start up caused the engine to spin a bearing. We took the oil pan off, and what did we see? 4 quarts of perfect looking mobil one full synthetic oil, and 1 quart of yellow, foamy, sludge looking lucas doing a very good job of lubricating the bottom of the oil pan. :shame: That stuff is crap. If you run a good oil (such as mobil one like I do), then there should be no need for any additives.
    -Harrison

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

a little off topic, but my dad always uses Mobil One in all our cars so we would always have a ton of it, so i used it in my k5 and the owner before worked for Mobil and he said every oil changed he used Mobil One. At 85,000miles it started smoking at start up after a while someone told me to try a different oil, so i used some cheap stuff and that got rid of it,

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I may not think that the oil stabilizer is good but the transmission fix stuff works wonders. I think it would probably ruin a trans that was running fine but mine isn't add a bottle right before a trail run and the tranny works fine most of the day

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

lucas along with 92% of all the additives are a scam and not recomened imo and from other reliable sources. I do use a sythetic -AMSOIL in every oil-part in my k5. I instantly had noticeable increase in performance and gas milage(bout 3mpg). I was sold on it through a couple of people that race in the desert and a chemical engineer for chevron-he ONLY uses this stuff.

12. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

what about slick 50?

I have run con rod tests before and ran a briggs engine 8 minutes with nothing but a drop of that on the con-rod bearing surface. where the engine with mobile one ran 5min and the dry engine ran 3.

The slick 50 engine seized because of piston/cyl. failure.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah the stuff isent that good, i ONLY put it in because my moter is on its way out and i wanted to keep it here for a bit longer

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are tests out there where slick 50 was run in exactly the conditions you describe, and it was worse than "regular" oil.

I can't recall who it was that did the test.

I do know that slick 50 has teflon in it, and Dupont was sued because they had determined it was NOT a good engine additive, and wouldn't sell it to companies that were going to use it in that application. If teflon was so good, you'd see it in everyone elses oil, it's not like it's hard to come by.

15. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

according to an article in Hot Rod a few years ago, if you want the results that slick 50 CLAIMS to give you, just use synthetic oil.

16. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I believe I just stated that I tested that, unless mobile one is junk in your opinion

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

m1 is a little thinner, the cold viscosity is almost water like- Because of that, the smoke is probably from from the oil leaking past the valve stem seals. Minor issue, really, its a trade off between cold flow ability, and smoke at startup.