Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lucas Transmission Fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever used this stuff? Saw it advertised on one of the truck shows a while back but I've never put much stock in the mechanic in a bottle stuff that's on the shelf. Just thinking it might be a good preventative measure...

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Lucas makes decent products, their oil stabilizer helped JeremyK5's truck stop leaking oil a little bit, however their power steering additive did not stop my PS leak. If it were me, I would not use it, but I can't say whether it will hurt or help. Are you having a transmission problem that would warrant this?

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I noticed some material in the pan of the Blazer transmission (th400) the last time I changed the fluid. With the move in the works, I just want to hold off on a rebuild for as long as possible.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My trans guy tells me that the fix in a bottle is only temporary and in the end will aid in destroying the trans. Most of that stuff is designed to soften the seals but then they soften until there is nothing left and then no shifty. It may keep you going for a while if seals are going out. Last ditch effort in my opinion. A rebuild is a rebuild. Might as well prolong it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of material? Even a fairly thick coating of "sludge" can be deemed normal. If it's just fine particles, then that is just clutch lining. There is a lot fo clutch material in an auto trans, it just happens to be collected in fluid, unlike brake dust.

With that said, on the "restore" type products. I'm a firm believer that they CAN work, but so far I think that only holds true for seals. I've seen it work, but obviously nothing is ever 100%.

If the trans pan has large pieces of metal in it, I don't care what anyone says, it's failing. No type of restore product is going to make hard part failure or bearing failure any less damaging to the rest of the tranny. Just my opinion, there may be more "technology" into these product than I am aware of, but unless they can replace missing metal, they can't be a real fix.

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

No metal in the pan just clutch material. What I found would be the average amount for a 20K change but I change the fluid around every 6K (just pan and filter, no flush). I'm not getting any obvious slippage but the signs aren't good.