Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Luckas oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BSav, Jan 17, 2003.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

My 88 Jimmy is going to get a tune up soon. My 350 ticks in the mornings when it is cold out side. It ticks only untill the truck is warm. I seeme to think it is a stuck valve seal or one that is not properly oiled. I heard that Luckas oil in my engine will stop this because it is so thick. Will it mix in with my existing oil or sink and cause sludge at the bottom. Will it effect my oil pump? I have the Luckas oil in my differantials it semes to work fine but the gear is constanly mixing everything up and it is a ten bolt.
    What do you guys think? i had planed on wusing it when i do my tune up.
    Engine was rebult about 45 thousand ago
    Thanks in advance
    Brian Sav

2. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

I say yea! I like that lucas stuff, not only the oil stabilizer, but the auto trans stuff. It has never sludged at the bottom to my knowlege in anything.
    If you are concerned, email the people at lucas-I have several times and they always give straight answers and know what they are talking about.
    hope this helps.

3. CJeepFreak84

CJeepFreak84 Registered Member

lucas oils are probably the best thing out there... just make sure you don't use tooooo much of the oil satbilizer or your oil pressure will go too high and you'll blow a seal at least... thats why you mix it with your oil rather than use it straight. I believe it has the recommended dose on the side of the bottle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

it probably is a stuck valve seal. too much carbon stuck there and when it gets warm it burns off and is ok. but when ya cool the engine down it does this same thing. gets stuck with carbon. i know its not really bad on the engine but is an annoyance and can be harmful in the long long long run. as of fixing that i do not know maybe someone could help out here. as far as lucas is that stuff is awesome. its really good stuff. hope this helps. later.

jacob

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

could also be a stuck lifter

6. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say that if it only happens when it's cold. And your using a Dino Oil and not a Synthetic Oil, That it could be your Oil is not getting to where it should be soon enough. Most Dino Oil has Parafin ( wax) And when it's cold you oil will thicken up. If you take this one step more and add a Oil stabler likw Lucus Oil (sp) Your oil is going to get even thicker. That will put even more strain on you oil pump. If you really want to help out your Motor use a Synthetic like Amsoil /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You can't go wrong.

Eric

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What's this about snakeoil?

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If it's really cold outside it might just be the lifter is tuckered out and drains and then when you go to start it up the oil being more thick it takes longer to get there and begin to "pump up" the lifter.

I've never used the stabilizer or any of Lucas' products other than some Slip-kote wannabe stuff. It wasn't worth the powder to blow it up and I haven't even considered Lucas' stuff since. Some people do seem to have good luck with it. Same goes for snakeoil... I mean Amsoil.

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well when you really want to learn Just let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

10. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

The ticking is probably a sticky valve lifter. Go get some engine oil system cleaner, the kind that comes in 1 qt bottles. Get one with a kerosene and glycol free cleaner. Drain your oil put in 3.5 qts 10w-30 the qt. of cleaner, and 1/2 qt. ATF, change the filter. Run the engine for at least 20 min, make sure it gets nice and hot, up to oper. temp. Then do a regular oil change. 10w-30 wt. will help cold start up flow, and 15w-40 is also a great heavy duty oil, is it doesn't get too terribly cold. As for oil additives, just say no. There is a reason new car warranties are VOID is you add anything to your oil. Motor oil companies spend millions of dollars researching and developing products to meet and exceed increasing standards. If there was some miracle bottle of snakeoil that would make it so much better don't you think they would use it?? This is not just my opinion, but is based on the findings of every independent lab test on these additive products. Plus that thick stuff is extremely hard on oil pumps in cold weather, and in hot weather acts like a heat insulating "blanket" on steel engine components, where a lighter oil carries the heat away.

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I swear by the Lucas products....I use it in the Blazer as well as my 85 Z-51 Vette. I have used the tranny stuff, fixed the vette's problem along with the injector cleaner...that stuff works great! Use the oil stablizer in both and have not had a problem...Blazer has 145,000 and the vette 147,000.
    And if your motor has got some miles on it I would not suggest switching to synthetic if you haven't used it already. The molecules in the syn are smaller and if after using reg oil for a while you switch well you find it will start leaking. Been there done cleaned up that.

12. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

did have a bad experiance with lucas oil i used the power steering sealer just to hold off untill i fixed the leak and after i fixed it the lucas was so thick it made the truck hard to steer just had to drain it and every thing was fine

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Highlander. I'm willing to bet that the ticking you're hearing is caused by insufficient oil flow at start up. The number one reason for this is dirty(and thick)oil or a semi-plugged oil filter.

Do you use Fram oil filters by any chance? The only time my truck has ever ticked at start-up was when I used a Fram filter out of desperation....And when was the last time you changed your oil?