Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lucky 9/16" socket

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Chris, Jan 8, 2007.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

So, I've been missing my 1/2" drive 9/16" deep impact socket for a few months, I looked everywhere for it. It's been missing ever since I had to change my starter in a parking lot in the dark. Well, today, I was under the truck putting another set of collector gaskets in my exhaust, and happened to see something hanging there ON one of my starter bolts, and it was my damn 9/16" impact socket covered in mud and grease, still on the head of my starter bolt. I guess the tranny cooler lines held it up there. I've probably put 1000 miles on it including some wheeling. I'm supprised it stayed on there that long. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my drawn-out completely pointless story. Guess I need to keep better track of my tools. :doah:

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nice...

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I found a tool under SanDawgK5's blaser that was there for a few hunderd miles and a wheeling trip. I can't remember what it was though.......IRA???

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just found a nice Snap-On socket in my rocker panel... :doah:

I guess the body shop lost it in there. But its a nice socket so I'm keeping it. :D

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I leave stuff laying on top of my air cleaner. Surprising how that stuff just stays there.

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

It's mine.. I'm missing about 32 socket's :mad:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

funny!..

I found all sorts of tools on old cars at the junkyard..once on an ancient city bus we scrapped after it sat there since 1955,I found a rusted pair of vice grips clamped tightly onto a large copper tubing,which I assume was for the air brakes!..still worked perfectly after I took them to the wire wheel on our bench grinder!..they looked like the first ones made,nothing like the ones you see nowadays!..

We found some weird open end wrenches there too,with HUGE sizes like 2"!..I guess old cars had BIG bolts!..:eek1:

We also found an axe,that looked just like the ones on those mid-evil TV shows!..not sure where it came from!..:confused:

The best ones I found was an entire rack of snap-on sockets someone lost under a car--I saw them when my co-worker moved some cars with the forkloader..about 150 bucks worth!...no one ever complained about losing them,or we'd have lifted the car up so they could retreive them..we assumed they belonged to whoever STOLE many parts off the '72 Nova parked right next to them!...THANK YOU!!:D :D ...

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

must've been a very short rack of sockets. those things are WAY more pricy than you think.

i had a 3/8" washer that sat on the front crossmember of my 82 C10 for a full 12,000 miles until i tore the truck down. i dropped it there when i rebuilt the engine. its still hanging in my garage on a piece of mechanics wire on one of the cabinet doors.

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

finding tools or money is allways very cool. I have found snap on sockets before too.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yes,probably cost more!..

The sockets I found were both 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive,from 3/8" to 1" in the 3/8" drive,and the 1/2" drive ones were 1/2" to 1-1/4"!!..your right,I bet just a few of them would cost 150 bucks now!...some were impact sockets too (the bigger ones!)...probably cost 300+ for something like that now!..

Speaking of things like that washer that didn't fall off in 12,000 miles--I once left my ciggarette lighter on the rear bumper of my 79 C10,then drove it to my brothers house and back,a 170 mile trip--I went up to 75 mph both ways,and it was pretty windy out--I was suprised to see it still there on my bumper the next day when I went to get in it to go to work!--couldn't believe it didn't fall off!...:eek1:

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

haha I keep a flathead and philips screwdriver under the hood of my dd at all times. where the inner fender and rad shroud meet there is a almost bowl shape in the plastic

210,000 km later never lost either of them, and both have been used in a pinch.

I once also had a beer in the front fork of my bumper on the k10, for almost 100km, the office was really good about that one :doah:

12. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i used to drive a 94 extended cab chevy with a cross bed toolbox in the bed. one night in college, i was driving around Lubbock for a longass time looking for a party, and realized i left my cell phone on the toolbox. i stopped to check if it was still there, and it fell in between the toolbox and the cab, and was still sitting there. good thing it was a bigass oldschool nokia, or else it would have slipped through.

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You can usually find a lot of interesting items below your battery tray in the corner.

14. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I don't leave much there, but i left my oil fill cap there during a dusty wheeling trip once :doah::doah::doah:

i was 16 and stupid......found it when i checked the oil on teh way home....

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i keep small tool ad spare nuts and bolts i remove from the truck, on the rad suport, hood keeps them there.

16. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had a friend who left a cordless phone on the bumper of his truck for about 120 miles on a 2 lane highway. His parents were kind of miffed when they had to go buy a new one since he wasn't going home for a few weeks.

When I was remodeling a store several years ago I found quite a few hand tools in a furr-down. It was wrapped in several pieces of custom molding. The carpenter who built it said he had wondered where he left them. They had been up there for about 8 years.

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i once left my books on top of my supra leaving school one day. they were gone before i left the campus.

18. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Come to think of it I have left a can of soda on the side step of my truck, I it was gone as soon as I hit the gas.

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I cut my front fenders for my new bumpers , I found a black Sharpie , a few rags , and sopme extra battery terminals . You know that "storage" area of the front fenders :thumb:

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: i'm the KING of pointless **** ...hell i could not find one of my 1/2in ratchets.:confused: a few months later, there it was still on a front bumper nut.:haha: :haha: :haha: