Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug Nut Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Apr 19, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

So I will be installing my Dana 60 as soon as I get it rebuilt. Right now I'm stuck at getting the kingpins out. I've read in the past about 7/8 allen wrenches etc. but then recently someone posted up about using a 9/16 long lug nut (that would use a 7/8 lug wrench)

So after not being able to just find one single lug nut :rolleyes: I started thinking "Well Actually I'm going to need 32 new lug nuts anyways since I'm going from half ton to one ton axles"

Basically my question is...will the 9/16 long lug nuts work on my dana 60 / 14 bolt? If they will i'll just go buy a set of 32, then use one to do the king pin overhaul.

2. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

We used a chisel for the king pins. We had one laying around that was 7/8 diameter. So we cut off 2" and then shoved it in a socket. And they were in there so much that we had to use a 7ft cheater bar. And we twisted the forged 7/8 chisel shaft.

And I think that the 60 and 14bolt have different stud sizes. I dont remember sizes but one was bigger than the other.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Means more money, but you could change the studs out to where they are all the same. But that can get expensive and be a hassle.

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

14bff and dana 60 use the same lugnuts. I have 3 sets from 3 different parts trucks. id use a 7/8's allen instead of a lug nut and a fatty cheater bar, i used my old rear bumper with uncapped ends and slid it over the allen.

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I just did the kingpins on mine. Found a 7/8 allen wrench at Grainger for $10. Took a six foot cheater pipe and three friends to bust them loose. Only one person was bleeding when we were done so it was pretty successful:D. Burr on the cheater got him.

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i was one of those people that posted up with the lug nut solution. it worked on my kingpins without any problem what so ever. but when i went to try it on my buddies kingpins, we rounded over probably about 10 of them. part of the problem was we were using a 7/8 3/4 drive socket, but it was 12 point. perhaps a 6 point would make it work better. we ended up using heat to help it out.

i also just went out and bought 32 lugnuts new, and well i couldnt even get ones that didnt have the bigger shoulder of contact for the taper to seat. they wouldnt even have worked anyways. the ones i used were old ones that didnt have the bigger shoulder at the base.

after doing this, i would say if you could find a better tool for under $10 i would get one. this method works in a pinch, but i definitely see a need for something slightly better.

and i did both with the axle out of the vehicle. this would have worked a lot better with the weight of the vehicle to hold it better than my 140lbs friend.

hope all this helps.

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried welding a lug nut to a 6 foot bar and snapped the lug nut right in half. Ended up getting a 7/8 allen and a torch.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't worry about that. He has a 230lbs friend to help him out. :wink1: