Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug nut spins, but wont come off...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by Todd78/87, May 21, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

How do you get a lug nut off that just spins on the stud? It's the only one on the wheel and I've tried pulling the wheel out to put pressure on it as I have an impact wrench on the nut. I can put enough pressure on it to actually stop the impact wrench. Help!! The only think I can think of it to try and tighten it 'til it breaks, but not sure I can do that.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If you have GM lugnuts they have a cover over them which is aluminum, My 78 k-10 did this just pull cover off then loosen. If you have a regular lug nut open or closed is use an air hamer to get it off. Be careful of the wheel, this way does take some time but it does work.Good luck and nice blazer.

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

These are aftermarkets,, and I can't use an airhammer,, there is not enough room to get behind the lug nut,, they're sunk in.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester Premium Member

Get a nut splitter then replace the lug

5. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

There is not enough room,,, they are sunk in.
    [​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

6. Get a sledge hammer and crush the wheel into bits, then use the nut splitter. No that would be a little extreme I guess ! If it is a front you can take the hub off, wheel and all and get it from the rear with vise grips. If it is a rear and you have C" Clips (10 Bolt) then drop your dif cover and take out the C" clip and slide the axle out !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

7. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

That last option might be the easiest, pulling the axle,, it's a 12 bolt though. I assume there's a difference cuz you put 10 bolt in paren's. How so?
    Thanks

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

To try and save taking out the axle use a socket and a long extention. Slide it over the nut and use the extention to bend the lug nut up and down. Since your wheel studs are hardened steel if you bend one way it will break the stud when you go to bend it the other way. Also there is no difference in the twelve bolt for axle removal. You will have to take out the cross shaft, push the axle in towards the center and pull the C-clip off.

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

The 12bo;t use c-clips also.When you get the axle of the rig you can either tack weld the stud to the axle or use a nut splitter.you may need to tack the stud to get a lug to spin on tight anyway though B/C you probally spun the stud hole too big now.Brady

10. If I would have looked at 78/87 I would have known you were running a 12 bolt and they do have the "C" Clip also. Juast pull it out and grab the back side with vise-grips and whalllllaaaaaaaa.. Hope this helps, I know you didn't want to go that far to get it done, but it is better than tearing something else up and we all know that we have done that a time or two before we learned our lessons !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you don't wan't to mess with your axle, you can:

1)Spot weld another nut on top of the sunken one, then easily remove.

OR

2) Use a drill to destroy that stubborn nut. Just be careful with your wheel. You might have to change the stud after that if you damage it.

Hope this helps.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

12. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

My friends Dad had to break off a locking lug that he had lost the keys to. He just welded a nut onto that one and used an impact wrench to break it off.

13. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Author

I had to do this on a broke wheel lock. It was a PAIN but I finally got it off. I drilled a large center hole in the center then used a chisel and a large hammer then pounded it to death until it split. You might also try to rent a stronger impact wrench and remove the other 5 lug nuts and have some use a super-long pry bar (4-6 feet long) behind the wheel and loosen the nut at the same time. My old impact got weak over time. My new impact is good up to 500 ft/lbs. Good luck.

Shawn

14. coloradok5

coloradok5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had this happen with one of my Camaro's, the lug nut is covered with a very thin piece of alum, I just drilled a hole on the top big enough to get a small screw driver in and bent the hell out of it untill it came off, not as hard as it sounds and the alum is real thin anyway.

Good luck
    Steve

15. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I think I will try to break it off first,, if that doesn't work, I'll take the axle out. Welding another nut on top of it will do nothing,, I don't know if the stud is spinning in the hole or if the threads are all trashed. If the stud is spinning in the hole, I'll have to tack weld the new stud in... Thanks for all the suggestions,, I'll let you know how it goes.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound