Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug Nut Torque

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Laurie, Jun 25, 2000.

1. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Ok, this is my lug nut problem continued. I did find nuts that were wide enough to compensate for the wear and tear on my wheels - yeehaw, don't have to replace wheels yet! But, my owners manual makes a big deal out of lug nut torque. I can't believe that everyone who changes a tire runs to the shop to have the nuts torqued. Do you dp that??? In fact I think that this is part of the problem - They were put on so tight that the nuts ate away at the wheel holes. Am I way off track???

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I'd say 100 ft lbs is a good torque for a truck. It mite be more if you have big tires, but I'm not sure on that.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

3. okie

okie Registered Member

lug nut torque is more important on aluminum wheels then it is steel wheels, just try to tighten evenly, 100-110 sounds about right, but i can't lie, i allways use an impact

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Everything I have ever read says 100-110 ft.lbs. If I have the time I use a touque wrench on the truck. On the Jeep I always do, it has aluminum rims. Its not that big of a deal with steel rims. Jim

BigJBear '80 GMC

5. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Thanks all. Looks like I need a torque wrench. Can't stand thought of paying someone to do this :)

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I've never seen any problems tightening except on newer cars with steel wheels. If you don't torque them evenly they can warp the rotors b/c they are not as thick as cars say 20 years or more old. Your truck rims are plenty thick either case alum and steel. and your rotors are plenty big. I never torque mine on any car and haven't had a problem. I do use an impact most of the time. I can't say you wouldn't have problems, just keep them tight enough to stay on there.

Wasn't me.............

7. Udy

Udy Registered Member

I would definitelly torque aluminum wheels! The place that did my gears installed the rims with an impact. I almost lost a wheel when one stud snapped going down the road. The others vibrated loose due to the uneven-ness. Also, recheck the torque after a few miles!