Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug nuts wheel studs all different WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Apr 10, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I go to autozone and tell the guy I need 79 G30 Van lug nuts so he tells me there's left and right side lug nuts WTF me, paul(sapper) and James(79stomper) look at each other like this guys lost his mind. I went out to see if there was a difference on pauls truck and there was???? Well now I have to get new wheel studs and lug nuts whats the best way to do this should I just randomly pick a chevy year like 1985 K30 for the wheel studs and lug nuts?? Thats my main question is there a difference in the wheel studs and lug nuts from my axle to the 1985?? THanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anyone just changed out there wheel studs and lug nuts on there 14ff? If so what year and make did you use? Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

In The Olden Days the lugs were threaded opposite on opposite sides of the car -- guy at work had a 50's Oldsmobuick like that.

Now, why the van is like that... sounds like your parts guy is on crack I like to look stuff up online -- napaonline.com or partsamerica.com for the CSK world are places to start.

Not that the online databases are any better; sometimes they're worse as they don't have a clueful parts guy interpreting them for you -- but it might be better than a pimply-faced punk idiot misinterpreting them for you!

-- A

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone just changed out there wheel studs and lug nuts on there 14ff? If so what year and make did you use? Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have to change mine, except when the damn tire shops screw up the threads with their air guns, but mine came out of a '76 3/4 ton p/u. If that helps out any, good luck. I have replaced those ones when they were screwed up, it's not real hard, just a pain to deal with.

BTW, i also use the bigger chrome 9/16x18 threaded lug nuts.

5. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Just change the lefts to rights (or vice-versa), that way you only have to change 1 side & all "match" (for a 79 G-30)

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are two fixes for this. You can pull one of the RH studs off and see if it fits into the LH side. If this is the case just get the ones that match the LH side. If the splines are different (making the first option useless) pull a LH stud and go to a good (read: honest/fair) alainment shop and have them mesure a RH stud to match the LH stud splines. That is what I had to do to find the 9/16" studs for the dodge 60 I put in (friggin dodge and their love of 1/2").
    Hope that helps