Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug nuts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 30, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just thought of something I didn't find out when I got my wheels/tires. What do I torque the lug nuts down to on my new AE 589 rims???

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The Chiltons Manual say's..."All K series trucks with six 7/16 inch bolts, tighten to 90 ft/lbs..."

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Just in case you did not have it I have attached the tightening sequence...

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, I knew the star tightening method already. I just never paid attention to torque values that much. Does it ever change??? Like from steel wheels to aluminum is the torque amount the same? Thanks

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I got the values from the chiltons manual , so I would imagine it would be for the stock wheels, I would go to the manufacturer of the aluminum ones for their torque requirements...

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Some stock K5's came with aluminum wheels. I've never heard of torque being different than steel, at the dealerships they put the lugs on with an impact and then run over them with a hand ratchet to make sure they're tight.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Call AE and find out from them what the TQ spec is. I have seen different specs for steel and aluminum wheels. Also see if they recommend a certain lugnut.

<font color=blue>USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!<font color=black>

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

8. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I worked for a garage that did a lot of tire rotations & repairs. We torqued steel wheels down to 90lbs, and alum. to 125lbs. The alum. needs to be retorqued at either 10 or 25 miles.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Jarhead...Corey, I thank you for the info. I knew there was a difference, but did not want to lead anyone astray without correct data...thanks guys...

I am writing this down...[​IMG]

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

What a dork. I just called Eagle Alloys directly about the torque values. The guy there told me to look it up somewhere else. He said it only mattered what kind of truck it was. I told him that the stock torque values were for steel rims and not aluminum ones and he said "it probably wouldn't make a difference." What an IDIOT. He was completely clueless.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    That Chiltons Manual is wrong, or a Blazer to them is not a truck, and what does all mean ?
    IMHO they changed studs on the rear of the K series from English to Metric, when this and other changes
    occurred I am will to bet the torque spec. for the lug nuts changed.

FYI both my 73 and 77 manuals that come with the Blazer list 7/16 and 65lbs./ft. not the shop manual, the
    little owner manaul.

Good luck finding the "real rigth" torque value.

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The manual I read the specs from is a Chiltons Manual for 1980-87 full size trucks and blazers. I called the local chevy dealer and spoke to Mr. Goodwrench and he told me those spec's are right for those year trucks....oh well....

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

OK, I don't have a torque wrench. Using the stock L-wrench (is that the name?), how tight is 90lbs? I'm 200lbs, 6', and I consider myself somewhat strong. On a scale from 1 to 5, being 5 the hardest I can, how much should I tighten?

Also, my wheels are magensium, would that be more like the aluminum torque spec?

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

14. Executioner

Then why would you post information for a 73 Blazer, from a manual for 80-87 ?
    I still say the Ch M is wrong, and depending on what you asked the dealer they are also wrong.
    I would like to debate the issue with you but if I win I gain nothing, if you win I learn something
    so do you want to debate the issue ?

15. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Look here Pal...
    1) I did not know at the time of the original post he had a 73.
    2) Chiltons been around a helluva lot longer then you have.
    3) you listed the torque for the specific year, so be it.If it is 65 then great, for 1980-87 and beyond it has been changed to 90, by the manual and from GM.
    4) Do not know what planet or country you are from but my 86 has SAE 7/16th inch studs all around, no metric.
    5) Ya wanna debate...go back to High School.
    6) A question was asked, I gave an answer I thought was the best I had at the time. The answer comes under the heading of take it or leave it as is most of the ones here.

16. Executioner

I never been to high school, but I know a wrong torque spec. when I see one !
    What does SAE(Socity of Automtive Engineers) have to do with Metric ?
    I hope you will think about your best answer at the time, and take your time.
    How would you feel if the poster when out and torqued this nuts to 90 and they broke,
    or got broke in a couple of weeks from the stress of overtorqueing ?
    Thats not what this form is all about, or is it ?
    I bought this planet from your for $19.95 yesterday or can't you remeber that far ?

17. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Lugs for alum rim get torqued to 100 ftlbs anymore and you risk stripping the lugs or nuts or weakening or even break them. years up to 1990. 1991 and newer are at 120ftlbs. I had my tires changed and they torqued them at 120 and broke 1 lug and 3 nuts, and damaged 2 more lugs. every place I looked for the torques they were at 100 up to 1990. Don't take a chance. For steel rims torque is at 90ftlbs. I'll look tomorrow for the torque for a 73 K5 and I will post. Try not to turn the lug nut until you can't turn anymore cuz that might be too much.

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You guys reallllllly need to take a chill pill. Reading these postings is turning into a pissing contest. Kinda amusing I guess.........but get real.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

19. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Your lack of education is readily apparent, as well as your inappropiate use of standardized terminology related to the automotive industry. And your sophmoric attemp to aphorize the acquisition of earth does provide a moment of diversion. But I do seem to notice you have an identical medical condition to one I have seen here before that does seem to place an inordinate amount of pressure on the Medical community at large to cure....verbal diarreah. And in case your infantile mind cannot comprehend the meaning of the term, look it up, that is if you can read, as your reply's to some of the posts on here leads me to believe there are doubts.

20. Executioner

You will see the light.............. one day ..........