Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug nuts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jwduke, Jul 3, 2002.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Hey guys! What kind of lug nuts are every one, a running with their steel wheels & 1 ton changeover? Thanks!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll probably get Mcgard's kit for Chevy 1 tons, part # is 84834. Includes 7 Lugnuts and one lock for each wheel and some chrome valve stems. Don't care about the stems, but I've had trouble with cheap tire store lugnuts before, so that's why I'm getting the kit. Summit carries the kit for $109, which kinda seems like alot, but I guess there's a lot of lugnuts on those wheels...</font color>

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I just run the cheap open end nuts and a lock on each wheel.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, if you get the McGard kit for $109, let me know! One of their bonehead salesmen sent me the wrong ones, and then sent me the McGard ones COD, for the tune of $248! I refused them, and Summit, couldn't under stand why I didn't want to spend $248 for lugs for $300 worth of wheel &amp; tires!

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

McGard's are awesome for their durability. I've NEVER had a McGard product rust, even when I lived in the rust belt! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif There are others that are a lot cheaper (Made in Taiwan or China) but they'll look like crap within a year. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You might send Bill ( 45acp) a PM and ask him about his stainless steel lug nuts he was going to make. These will NEVER rust at all. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I used Gorrilla Locks on my rims. The set came with all the locks for every stud. Got them through 4wheelparts and the price was good ($70.00 for 32 of them #GOR 76695N - 9/16" Duplex Acorn-32). One or two locks can be removed but it is pretty tough to remove any when they are all locks.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Storm Trooper - I just looked up that same kit from Sunnit and it's only $51! What a deal, I'll probably do that instead. Thanks.</font color>

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Hey Shaggy! Thanks for the info on the lug nuts! I owe you one! I ordered a set, guess they are backordered till 7/14. Again, thanks!

10. HarryH3

Check back in a year or so and let us know how they look. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I hate stuff that rusts! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

11. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I'll do that Harry, but who knows.........

12. HarryH3

As long as you live where they don't use road salt, then the Made-In-China lug nuts will sometimes go a year or two before the rust starts to show through. But they typically don't make it through a single winter in the rust belt before they're orange. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The McGard's cost more, but I've never seen any of their stuff chip or rust. And if it should, they'll replace it for free, forever. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I don't know of any other company that guarantees that their lug nuts won't rust.

I've got a set of McGard wheels locks that are 15 years old, including a couple of Massachusetts winters. They still look like they're brand new. The El Cheapo chrome lug nuts on the same wheels look like crap. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

McGard also has special fasteners to lock your winch, off-road lights, etc. You can check 'em out at http://www.mcgard.com/default2.asp /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. HarryH3