Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lug Size?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Propayne, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

again, i tried searching...but found too many topics that didnt answer my question.

this weekend i went offroading and started to notice a slight knocking in my drivers side rear tire. i pull over and as soon as i stop, the tire falls compleltely off. so i think no big deal, ill put it back on, this is where the problem comes. the lugs ripped out minus the bottom 2. so i put it back on with the two remaining lugs and then get pulled into town.

i had to take it to a shop because i have insufficient tools to take apart the drum and pull the remains of the broken lugs and replace them.

my question is...ive heard of bigger lug sizes say "half inch" lugs? what comes stock on the 88 blazers? i heard 7/13"s but im not sure. also, could i just drill out my lugs to be 1/2 inch or is there a certain way to do it.

or...is all this incorrect information?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Stock size is 7/16". Are you saying that the wheel studs pulled through the hub flanges or just broke off?

Theoretically, I suppose you could have the hub flanges drilled out to a larger size but you would probably have to have it done by a machine shop, so the holes are exactly the right size and in the right location.

However, as long as you torque your lugs nuts to the proper specifications, the 7/16" studs should be fine. I always use a torque wrench and I've never broken a wheel stud.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I haven't personally broken any 7/16" studs, but I've seen enough to know they're a weak point.

Ford 1/2" studs are the logical upgrade. I would drill the hubs/rotors myself on a drill press. Be careful not to oversize... the bit will center on the old hole

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Make sure you do not drill the hole on the axle flange to 1/2" only the drum. The holes on the axle flange need to be smaller. You can generally find the diameter of the Knurled part of the stud and drill the hole slightly smaller than that to ensure it is a pressed fit.

Ira

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Didn't realize it was the rear.... :o

The Chevy 2wds use 1/2" studs... I wonder if the knurl is the same with the 7/16". :thinking:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

thats a good Q but im pretty sure theyre not, but you jut never know

only one way to find out

if not then easy to drill

ive broken 7/16" studs before and it was not very difficult to do, shockingly

so much so that im weary of old original ones, theyve been through hell and millions of torquings, etc,

i will be replacing mine in the near future on the 77

good luck