Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Luk Pro Gold vs. Luk Repset

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Mar 22, 2006.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

What's the big difference? I'm needing a clutch for my crew cab, and I can get the pro gold set for $260, or the repset for $170 at Autozone. It's not a wheeler, just the occasional hauler/tow rig. Do I really need to go for the gold, or would the repset be fine. Anyone know of some better prices than this?

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hop on the Luk website. I remember reading about the differences there. I can't recall what they were but I know that I was convinced I needed the pro-gold. My favorite clutch of all time!

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well I already read all I found there. They say a lot, yet without really saying anything. It sounds like they're talking to someone who's never heard of a clutch before. They never come out and say what the REAL differences are. The repset is pretty tempting at $90 cheaper than the pro gold. It's still better than some parts store cheapie.

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Definately better than the parts store special. Maybe it wasn't their site that I found that info. I'll take a look and see what I can find.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

We used to carry LUK but dropped them for some damn reason but I still get LUK from out old supplier b/c I have ALWAYS has good luck with the LUK. I have hte ProGold in my K5 behind my 454. The ProGold has a beefier pressure plate with more clamping load and it has stiffer torsion spring in the disc. I have driven the heck out of my blazer since the day the motor was but in and the clutch feel just as good now as the day I put it in and hasn't slipped once.

Oh, word to the wise, stay the hell away from Centerforce. REBOXED, OVERPRICED CRAP!

Chris

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus on Centerforce. I'm just trying to decide if the difference is worth $90 for a truck that won't be driven all that much. The repset will pretty much be OE quality won't it? They always seem to last quite a while from the factory...