Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lumber question... Pressure treated 2x6

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FWP, Dec 21, 2005.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

I'm designing a flatbed using 2x6 and steel. I have the steel part figured out, but I'm not too hip on lumber sizes (ie. I'm a dummy in that area). A 2x6 is really 1-1/2 x 5-1/2 right? What lengths are commonly available (ie. Home depot, Lowes, etc.) Is 8' REALLY 8' or do they undersize it there too? Help a wood newb please :)

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

They usually oversize the lengths by 1/2" so that you can square off the ends yourself. you are correct on the dimensions of the board

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Common sizes, at least up here are stud length, 8 ft, 10 ft, 12 ft, and 16 ft. Sometimes you can find 14 footers, but in my neck of the woods they aren't as common.:dunno:

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

20 footers also. id go with oak though. then treat it a couple times with sealant. it will last a LOT longer.
    Grant

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Id' go with plain fir and just replace it when it wears out ,Freds in AZ so I don't see that happening to often and the treated stuff is toxic so I'd only use it if I had to he'd save a ton of dough...

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I second that. There is a reason that most states prohibit pressure treated wood for decking or anywhere that humans come into contact with it. For decks, we can do the substructure in pressure treat, but the top has to be redwood or something else. I'd go with a hardwood and seal it good.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Every deck I've ever seen up here is pressure treated! I've never heard of it being toxic. Is it bad to eat off of? :haha:...

Seriously... Is it bad to eat off?

8. Can Can

Up here we have 2 kinds of pressure treated wood:

1. Normal "CCA" treated wood designed for sub-structures where the chance of human contact is limited or non-existant. The danger comes from the arsenic used in the treating mixture.

2. "ACQ" treated wood that is safe for human contact as it contains no arsenic.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You gotta remember I'm in Ca. It's amazing we even have treated wood. They've banned the old copper cote stuff and restricted most everything else. I'm surprised we haven't banned wood products completely to protect everything else under the sun.

10. FWP

FWP CRS

OK, so pressure treated may not be the best way to go. Fir? What do they call that at Depot? Isn't that soft wood? Does it shrink alot? This thing's gonna see anywhere from 10* in the winter to 110* in the summer (down south where I wheel). Keep in mind I'm in rural (somewhat) AZ, so It's kinda hard to find what you need unless it's very common.

11. Can Can

FWIW, every wood-decked trailer I've used in the last 18 years has been made of fir.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And if your worried about expansion and concration do what you'd normally do when decking and leave an 1/8" of space or a nails width between the joints, I'd also go with a spiral shanked galvinized decking nail, do the fir dood if you break it the replacement will be cheap and the broken piece CAN be burned in the fire, none of the treated stuff whether it contains arsnic or not, should not be burned...;) Pauls correct in what he says but I wouldn't want to have sustained contact with any of it .I had to use the ACQ for my fence rails and I still make my kid wash after he's touched it, it still rubs off on ye, more so then the CCA...

13. FWP

FWP CRS

Gotcha. Thanks guys, makes good sense. I think it will shrink more than anything, out in the very low humidity/ high heat I see here. My plan was to cram it together as tight as I could get it. The deck on my gooseneck has already broken several 1/4-20 screws due to shrinkage...

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

IS IT SAFE TO EAT OFF OF?!?!

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Only if you want to wind up looking like your avatar.

16. Can Can

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

17. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im going to use composite for my decking material on my aluminum flatbed (I wont be throwing any engines on it)... all my trailers are doug fir decks...

My house decks are the less toxic treated and they shrunk a bunch... I did what you said I crammed them together... by the time they dried out and shrunk they ended up 1/8 plus apart... After they were thoroughly dried out from the inside out I painted them with multiple coats of paint... so far two redding summers and winters and they still look like new

cam

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

walk the plank..

I used four sheets of 3/4" plywood on my flatbed,I ran one layer across the bed,and the other lengthwise,to create a double layer of cross laminated plywood 1-1/2" thick!....had to use 4 sheets total because it took 2 sheets cut down with a seam to cover the 79"x8' bed..it was VERY strong,(I've seen car trailers use double layered 3/4" plywood with good results too)--

I carried mucho scrap steel on it,including a detroit deisel straight six that weighed 4000 lbs,and it took 7 years of weathering and abuse before I finally got a hole poked thru it,when the forkloader driver got too carried away trying to get the forks under that heavy motor to lift it out of the bed..the top layer was getting punky in places,but most of it was well preserved from oil that spilled out of junk I hauled to the crusher!..drain oil is excellent wood preservative!..:laugh:

I coated the underside with rubberized roof coating,the white stuff used on mobile homes that is called "Snow Roof"..the underside is in excellent shape,much better than the channel iron the bed frame is made of I'm sad to say!(should have used it on the steel too:doah: )..I used a strip of flat stock 6" wide to cover the seam on the top layer ,to hold the plywood down,and used angle iron bolted to the channel steel around the perimeter ,to bolt it into place..

I have a factory wood plank floor in my 82 K20 stepside's bed,and had a few others in years past..I never cared for individual planks much..I put diamond plate aluminum over the wood bed in my 82,the planks are a bit rough looking and somewhat cracked,and I didn't feel like disecting the whole bed to replace them..

If I ever did replace them,I'd be tempted to try that new deck material thats made of recycled plastic and wood..cant think of the name of it!--anyone try that stuff yet??..I think it would hold up good in our climate..

Pressure treated wood never rots here--instead,it splits and cracks apart,especially if the sun beats down on it..my deck looks like crap,and its only 10 years old..looks like its 100 years old already.and I'll never use NAILS on a deck again either!--damm things are always sticking out 1/2" and make shoveling snow a real PITA!!.:mad: I'll use SCREWS next time..:crazy:

19. gauder

gauder Banned

My Aunt had a deck built out of that stuff about 5 or 6 years ago. It is strong stuff, but doesn't like the extreme temperatures we get up here (warm summers and cold winters), I'm sure it's the same where you are. It warped like heck, and shrunk too.

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You waste my drink...:D