Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lunch box lockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bangedup, May 17, 2003.

1. bangedup

bangedup Registered Member

1St mistake
    I run stock 10 bolts.
    2 ND mistake
    I want to spend money on a locker for it.
    I run 33s with a 4 lift we run mostly muddy hilly trails with little or no rocks but it is my daily driver.
    I dont have the need to upgrade the diffs yet but I am looking for a little better traction than
    Open diffs provide.
    I plan on installing a Detroit easy locker any comments on this product.
    Please be gentle I am getting it for 400.00 can so its not like i
    m spending a ton of cash.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

tell ya what, buy that detroit, and if you dont like it, ill trade you for my govlock...

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

In my opinion Power-trax lockrites are way better than Easy Lockers and a lot less money. Usually run around 250.00. I know too many people who have broken easy lockers. even on light rigs like Jeeps /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I have heard they aren't all that strong.
    Most every one that I know (including me) that is running lockrites likes them.
    The only thing you have to watch out for when installing them is if your thrust washers and pinion pin are worn. They should be in like new condition or the locker can wear out fast. They are designed for pretty close tolerances.

MORE INFO:powertrax.com

Dont let all the negative 10 bolt comments get you down.
    10 bolts work fine with 33" tires. The lockrite will also make it a little stronger because you get rid of the spyder gears.

4. bangedup

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What ever you do DO NOT use a Detroit EZ-Locker! EVERYONE I know that has run one has broken it. If you want to do a lunchbox locker get one from Power-Trax.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

if you really need to get one, get a lockrite... i broke one... but thats cause i thought I was inviincle with the locker so I started dumping the clutch to get out of the "little stucks" i were in (in the sand at the beach) and i broke that sucker. I had 10bolts 4.56 and 35x12.50
    I hated the clunking and clacking and shaking.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you use 140 wt gear lube it makes the lockrites a lot quieter and operate smoother.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a lockright in my daily driver and it works great. My daily is a 2000 Ford Ranger 4 by with a 7.5" Ford rear.

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I thought all the ext cab and 4x4's had 8.8's in the back /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I will be running a lockright in my 12 bolt when the time comes.

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

140 weight!?!?!
    Wow, thats hard-core. lol. Im debating if i wanna sell my detroit or stick it in... im gunna get real cheap labor for this one tho, cause of a deal... so im leaning towards installing it. With a detroit in a 14bff is it better to run thicker oil or does it matter

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sorry I should have said 80/140wt multi vis gear lube. The lockrite owners manual recomends it.
    Acually I use 80/140 in my open diff too for the increased shock protection. My 10 bolts take quite a beating sometimes.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use 250 weight in mine. I have a lockright in my front 10 bolt, and the diff is filled with Redline Heavy Shockproof Synthetic gear oil. The bottle says it is a 75W250. I have never heard my lockright pop, ratchet, etc. Gear oil is $8-9 a quart, but you really don't change it enough for it to be that expensive. It is totally worth the money in my opinion.

The Redline Heavy is also in my rearend now. I broke the gears in with 80W140 standard oil. I then replaced it with the Redline and it smoothed out the rearend alot.

Harley

13. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'd be curious if oil that heavy flows well enough to lubricate the outer bearings and if it has an impact on fuel mileage (at least if used in the rear)?

14. Hossbaby50

I haven't had a problem as of yet. I drove my truck from Arizona to Colorado (1000 miles in 2 days) about 5 months ago with no probs. I am about to make the same voyage again in 2 days.

Originally my 14bff was filled with 80W140 gear oil for break in. I then drained it after about 750 miles. The Redline went in and has been in since. I filled the diff up as far as it would go new oil. Ran it for awhile, and then went and put in almost another 1/2 quart of oil so I am assuming all that the 1/2 quart of oil flowed out to the outer bearings. I know it didn't leak out. It is very apparent when this gear oil leaks. It leaves bright pink dots on the driveway.

As for the front axle, it doesn't matter the front wheel bearings aren't lubed by gear oil. My front axle was built by a pro with the good parts, and was filled with this gear oil when I bought it. It is what he recommended and what he ran in it before I bought it. It works for me and I am going to stick with it. I really like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley

P.S. The redline oil is very thick and sticks to everything. It also won't crush out from between gear teeth under high loads or shockloads (hense shockproof).

15. morphed86k10

Sounds like good stuff. Is it available from standard auto parts stores?

16. Hossbaby50

I have only found it at the local speed shop and also at a local 4x4 shop. You can order it threw Summit also. I paided $8 at the speed shop, and $9 at the 4x4 shop. They aren't joking about it being heavy either. It takes quite awhile to poor a quart.

17. bangedup

Now I really don't know what to do.Went to the grear shop to buy the Lock-right today.
    He said NO WAY should I put a Lock-right in a full size.
    Some of you say yes some say no,other boards are mixed opinions.Most,I think have not run this unit.Who has had good/bad luck with this product?When the dealer dosn't want to sell it to you does it really mean it's NFG? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

18. morphed86k10

Same thing happened to me when I went to my local shop. He said they are really noisy (which I believe can be alleviated with the aforementioned oil) and wear out cases. I've been noting peoples experiences with lock rights, and there are a few cases of lock rights breaking in half ton axles, usually after breaking a few axle shafts. I have yet to see anyone break one in a D60. The biggest difference between a lunchbox locker and a Detroit locker is that the Detroit replaces the carrier, and hence its stronger. Oh wait, thats not the case with the 14BFF, where the detroit replaces just the spider gears (like a lock right in does in every other axle). Call the detroit a lunchbox locker and watch the chatter erupt....anyway, I digress, so the short of it is I'm getting a lock right for my Dana 60. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Hossbaby50

It is all dependent like everything else. How heavy is your truck? How much power? How big of tires? What terrain? What is your driving style? etc.

I have seen lockrights last in rock trucks with 35's for quite awhile. Marv Springer runs them front and rear. If you see pics of his wheeling and truck you will know it is not light by any means of the term.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Call the detroit a lunchbox locker and watch the chatter erupt

[/ QUOTE ]
    People who know better will know what you mean. Those who bitch arn't smart enough to care about.
    Accually its called a No-Spin, or at least they were, marketing may have changed that now that the FF14B seem to be gaining favor.