Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Luv, or 4 Runner?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Feb 22, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm looking for something cheap, and *gasp* economical. I've narrowed it down to a Luv, or a Yota 4 Runner. I have no idea what I want beyond that. Can you help me build a list of pros and cons for each vehicle, regarding parts prices, availibility, ease of assembly, and anything else?

Any positive words are appreciated.

2. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i would put my vote to a 4runner. 84-88 with a 22re motor. stay away from the 3.0 v-6 that come in the 88 and up years the 3.0 motor allways had problems with head gaskets.:grin:

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Those sound like the years I was pondering. Something old enough that the po is tired of it, but not dead. I know nothing about Yota engines. What displacement is a 22re?

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

2.2 litre 4 banger they last forEVER

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

thats no joke i know a guy that has like 300,000 on his runner and its still going.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That, my friends, is what I love to hear!

What about Luv engines?

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Ask the Luv expert... MEPR here on CK5. :grin:

8. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

my toyota pickup with the 22re engine has over 225000 and just keeps on rolling like it just got off the ship, only thing out of the normal PM is a fuel pump.

its my pickup for hauling stuff

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Can you say Isuzu?

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Izusu? Is that what's loaded into the Luvs?

That sounds like the diapers.

11. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I had a Luv when I was 16/17. Beat the p!$$ out of this thing. I blew a head gasket on it towing a 77 chevy long bed 3/4 ton 4WD. What was I thinking. Toyo's will run strong and forever as well. Stay away from the auto's they do not last as long and are far more costly to repair. Look around at the junk yards in you area and see what kind of parts are more available. You may find there are no parts available for the Luvs/toyos. 22re's are very strong motors. The Isuzu motors run for many miles as well. Did you think about the 4 banger s-10 or ranger? they get decect mileage as well. Good luck with what you decide and keep us posted.

12. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Not positive on the 4runner, but I've got an '82 Toyota LandCruiser BJ42 and can tell you that Toyota really overbuilt this truck. It's stock axles shame the 10 bolts on my Jimmy. Bulletproof Aisin hubs and huge birfield joints. 24 volt factory electrical system. The 3.5 liter four-cylinder diesel in mine runs hard and relentless like a farm tractor and has no signs of dying soon, even with 330,000kms on it. Parts aren't exactly "cheap" though.

I'd go with the older style 4-banger 4Runner with the removable half-roof like K5's have.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Izusu is 40% owned by Chevy. The Luv is a rebadged Izusu Pup till mid early 80's when Chevy started making the S truck.
    Just rolled 200,000 on my 86 4Runner. If you are planning on wheeling it then toy for sure. Izusu doesn't make a bad truck just very limited aftermarket for it.

www.MarlinCrawler.com is the ORD of the Toy world. Marlin and his boy Mike are hella good folks.

The 22R is the more dependable motor for sure. Just understand they are geard as a truck and take their sweet time getting moving. The IFS started in 86 but everbody makes SAS kits for these. If you start with a IFS truck it gets you a wider rear axle, the right steering box, much better chance of getting the 22RE fuel injected motor. The IFS hubs will work on the 80's solid axle to correct the track width to match the rear. There are kits for this.

Also the FI motor gets the stronger w56 manual 5 speed and top shift transfer case. The best starting point for a Marlin Crawler (doubler set up like ORD).

Bobby Long front axle shafts are like Warns and CTM's for a GM and hell good price too. $600 for the longs and your over $1k now for Warns and CTM's
    http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

Go read the FAQ in the Toy section at www.pirate4x4.com

I'm in the parts colecting stage to build my runner. Right now I have mounted 35,s Second case, solid front axle and I should be picking up a e-locker in about a week.

14. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go w/the 4Runner. I had an '85 w/the 22RE & 5-speed. From the factory with really low gears. Great truck when I outgrew it. Had almost 250k miles and I still see it around town over 7 years later. Only problem I really had was it would blow the fuse for the fuel injectors at really inoportune times, i.e. way off in the woods in a mudhole.:D

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

"I'd go with the older style 4-banger 4Runner with the removable half-roof like K5's have."

I was definitely planning this.

In my experience, Ford trucks are easy to work on. I used to have a 90 F250, and don't have any complaints about difficulty. As for the s10, I just don't like them.

I was thinking it would be easy to beef up the axles on the Yota with all the axles that get thrown around here when people upgrade. Good idea?

16. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

No, the stock toyota axles (8 inch) are just as strong as a 10 bolt or dana 44. The only weak link is the birfields. I wheeled an IFS 87 Yota pickup with the 4 cyl., 5.29 gears and 35" swampers for years with no problems until I blew up the 4 cyl. Then I swapped in a 350, sm465, np205, but left the IFS and stock rear axle. Wheeld that for a couple of years until I finally broke two of the mounting points for the front diff.

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

4 runner, definately. But if you find a diesel luv for cheap, that would be the most economical, if you only plan on driving this. If you have any intention of wheeling what you buy, get the Toy.

But i do need to clear up one mistake, the 22r and re motors are not 2.2L, they are 2.4, which doesnt sound like much, but its still missinformation.

I beat the piss out of my old Toy and it just kept asking for more, I wish i had it back all the time. I couldnt kill that motor, and by all rights it should have blown up 20K miles before i sold it.

If you picked up a solid axle toy and pulled the 8"s to put in a 10bolt's, you would actually be hurting yourself. Zero strength upgrade, you loose ground clearance, and it will cost a bunch more to upgrade.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yoda Yoda Yoda

I've never had a import pickup,but several friends have had toyota and nissan trucks,and Isuzu "pups"and their close cousins the S-10 chevy pickups(early S-10's are Isuszu's in GM's clothing,they used the 1.9 liter engine the Isuzus had,and the same motor was used in the Opel GT cars for many years--not very powerful,but they did last awhile..

The Toyota's were good trucks,all the ones my friends had were beaten mercilessly even before they bought them,all had well over 150,000 miles when they got them--the only weak spot on them were the head gasket problems on the 3.0 V6 as already mentioned,and the 5 speed tranny's had problems with synchros and popping out of gear on one truck--and good luck finding a tranny in a boneyard for reasonable money--that is the main reason I've never owned one yet--parts are kinda scarce and costly when you need them....:crazy:

It seems toyota owners strip all the useable parts off before they junk them,and the yards dont get many intact with good parts on them,when they do,its very pricey...the 22R engines are noted for long life,the only thing that goes on them is the timing chain after many many miles,the carburated ones seem to last longer than the EFI ones for some reason--I was amazed at how much weight my mason friend could load in his toyota and still maintain 80mph and get 20-25 mpg at the same time!--he often put more than a ton of cement and tools in it..

The Nissan truck the same guy had was a workhosre too--he loaded that one up with heavy stuff alot too,and hauled it 50 miles or more to the jobsites every day for years,until one day the frame rails decided to fold in half right behind the cab!(look closely at the frames on the toyotas and nissans--actually,just about all the imports had rust problems due too the boxed in frame rails,its hard to find a truck in my area that isnt rotted there)--his truck had the "Z24" motor that had 2 spark plugs in each cylinder,it was a very rugged motor,I could not beleive how rough he treated that thing and it kept on running--I bet it lives on in another truck somewhere!:crazy:

19. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Please don't get him started. I'll try and keep him away from this post.:ignore:

20. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gotta put a plug in for my other toy. Go mitsu/dodge Raider or Montero. Gen 1 or maybe a Gen 2. My 87 Gen 1 SWB has 4.86 gears, LSD rear from the factory. You can also get 5.29 gears but their hard to find. Some have full factory lockers, and locking center diffs(newer gen's). Parts interchange from alot of other models for these. Im currently putting a 2.6 Turbo engine from a Dodge conquest/Mitsu Starion into my raider. Also using the LSD from it for the front of my raider. You dont see alot of these running around on the trail but they are pretty tuff little trucks.:thumb: