Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M/T baja claw radials

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Mar 4, 2001.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It's time for another set of sneakers and I have been lusting after a set of claw radials.
    Anyone running these? Or know of someone that is?
    A buddy let me try out a set of BFG mt's. Was not impressed, they clogged up and turned into slicks, they finaly cleaned themselves out after I hit the pavement and hit 45mph. Then the mud began to fly.
    Usualy have that goopy, sticky mud. So I am looking for a tire that will clean itself at a lower tire speed. I've got alot of steep hills that are pretty sloppy and it's real easy to bury yourself to the gills.
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just picked up a set of Procomps yesterday. And its been raining today. So for I really like them thay are kicking the mud out pretty fast.

Become one with nature..............Then marinate it...

3. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

My buddy has them on his Br#@&o.He's never had it in mud but they did hold up when I pulled him back onto his wheels,after putting it on it's side,last weekend.[​IMG]That'll teach him to do 60mph on a snow drifted dirt road.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    <font color=blue>does anyone have another F#@d that I can park on?</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    <font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</A></font color=red>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I almost got claws back in the fall. I talked to a few people who had them and they said the tires are OK but not as good as Swampers. I got TSL Radials and I'm nothing but pleased. They wear fast but my truck isnt daily so they'll be on there for a while. My next set will be SX's.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

This is a daily driver, about 20 miles a day to work and back unless I take the back road . Lots of twisty roads here too.
    I don't mind spending the $$ for tires, but I'm not willing to do it if the tires wear out fast. I guess I'm looking for a happy medium.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Claws will wear just as fast or faster than Swampers. For a daily truck, I would go with a set of BFG MTs and rotate them religiously since the fronts will wear faster. Depending on how much and what kind of off-roading you do, your driving style, and if you have open diffs or lockers/posis, you should get about 35K out of them if you keep up on rotating them.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I already tried a set of BFG's , they didn't work to well.
    They turned into 33x12.5 slicks. That's not gonna do it for me.
    No Posi yet. Not a rock crawler(don't have that kind of terrain)
    Lots of mud and steep hills that go on forever though.
    Getting a set of tires that will only be used off-road is not an option, as I am always taking a logging road if it looks good.
    Thanx for the input
    See ya

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If there was an offroad tire out there that A. had good on-road wear and manners, B. self-cleaned and performed well in sticky, nasty mud, and C. wasn't too expensive, I think every off-roader would have a set of them. Unfortunately you WILL have to compromise somewhere, because tires with all those qualities don't exist. I drive mostly highway, so I live with so-so offroad manners and run BFG AT's. Yes it sucks, but that's just the way it is.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!