Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M/T Classic II and Pro Comp Wheels. Twins?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, what's going on here? Mickey Thompson came out with the "Classic" Wheel, which looked just like an American Eagle 589, but sold for about $200. The competing AE 589 was about $115. Then, at nearly the same time, Pro Comp came out with their own line of wheels, one of which looked just like the AE589 ($115) and M/T came out with the Classic II, another look-alike that sells for $115. Are these companies all selling us the same wheel? Are they made by different or the same manufacturer? Has anyone else noticed this?

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yeah, it looks like they're trying to be competitive with each other. All of them are bidding for the tire/wheel combos out there. All are slightly different but I'm sure they're made by different manufacturers.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Mickey Thompson/Alcoa "Classic" has been out for years and was around before the A/E 589. The Classic was expensive because it was a super strong forged wheel, versus the cheaper and weaker cast aluminum wheel such as the 589. I'm assuming the 589 was introduced to target the market of everybody who liked the looks of the Classic but couldn't afford them, such as myself. The Classic II is a cast wheel like the 589 and hence it's lower price. As for the Procomp wheels, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just a re-named 589 or Classic II.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

But it is really Pro-Comp that make me wonder. Aren't they really just a brand name for 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers? Aren't their tires actually made by Cooper? So who is making their wheels? And who is making M/T wheels for that matter? They're not a big company, so I bet that someone else is making them to have the M/T name put on them. If we could figure out a connection, there could be some advantages. At the very least, we would be better informed of exactly what we are buying.

On the same topic, does anyone know another brand name to buy the Pro Comp tires under for a lower price?

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I believe that MT gets theirs from Alcoa, don't they? Of the three, I am sure that ProComp is just re-badging an AE589 or something...cause as someone already noted, ProComp is 4 Wheel Parts' name brand...I would just go with the cheapest one of the three, cause I am sure they are pretty much the same...

6. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Take a close look at the alcola-M/T classic2. The holes are slightly bigger than the 589's and more highly polished, and steel inserts also. This is similar although different wheel.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I thought that the Classic II's had larger holes and a better finish. The ones I was looking at were that anyway. What about warranties on these things.