Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M/T Valve cover problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Mar 28, 2007.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Just got back from summit, I took my vintage sbc M/T valve covers down there to get a new breather and oil cap. I went through probably 10 different twist in caps and none of them fit right. My breather hole is 1 3/8" OD but that wasnt the problem, its that the lips on the groumets they had were too small so they wouldnt press and seal into the valve cover. The twist in oil caps they had were way to loose when tightened. About 4 different guys said that I should sell my valve covers and just buy new ones because its going to be a pain to find parts to fit them because they are so old.

I for one didnt think it would be this much of a hassle to find a breather and oil cap. What gives? am I not looking in the right spots? I would think that these parts were as standard as it gets. I guess not.. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. NorCalKid

NorCalKid 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had that same problem with those same covers. I ended up just getting a push in breather and a rubber bushing for a different sized breather. Then I cut the bushing in small amounts until it fit in the hole and the breather pushed in tight. Seems to be working well

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I knew I wasnt the only one :D What oil cap are you using? and does it fit snug? Do you have any pictures by chance? I kinda want it to look good too, you know?

4. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

From experience your going to have to have some type of baffle under those holes. I did away with my PCV valve and bought one screw in breather cap and one push in breather cap and plugged the big hole on the back of your bottom cover.

5. NorCalKid

I am not sure where the oil cap is from but it fits snug. I will get you some pictures when I get home

6. bigjimmy82

bigjimmy82 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem and did the same thing, but on my oil cap I just got one that was too big and trimmed I did not get a separate bushing for it.

7. NorCalKid

Here is how I did mine[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]