Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M/Ts on a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

In the next month or so the 84 is going under the knife and finally, after all these years, getting a lift. I'm not sure how high I'm going(2.5"- 4"), but I'm going to be stepping up to 33s for sure(maybe 35s but I doubt it).

If I'm going to all the trouble of making the truck a little beefier, I'm not sure if I want to stay with wimpy looking A/Ts. The only issue I face is that 90% of my driving is on the highway.

Soooooo, how do the M/Ts on the market work for a daily driver? Have any manufacturers come out with a beefy looking tire that still has good road manners? Price isn't that big an issue....

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've been running BFG M/T's since '97. I ran about 60K miles on my first set. They were great, not too loud and of course they wear like iron.

I wouldn't recommend them to you though. You have those couple of inches of snow that you have to drive through, I would stick with an A/T, possibly the BFG model. I'm going to be looking for a set in a few months. The A/T is better for snow duty than the M/T.

3. Can Can

I thought I read somewhere that one or two of the tire manufacturers came out with new model lines that had the handling characteristics of an A/T combined with the beefiness of an M/T........ /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought I read somewhere that one or two of the tire manufacturers came out with new model lines that had the handling characteristics of an A/T combined with the beefiness of an M/T........ /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Beats me. I don't pay much attention to tires since I've been sold down the river on BFG cause they are just that damn hard to beat. It may have been BFG that you mention since the M/T and A/T are the same, just different tread pattern.

5. Can Can

I just took a look at the Interco site and got a little info on their tires. They *claim* that quite a few of their tires are good on ice and snow.

The only problem is that I want to stay with a 10.5" tire and quite a few of their tires aren't made to those specs in a 33.

For example, the Truxus M/T 33 is a 12.5, same with the Super Swamper radial. The Thornbird fits my specs but I'm not sure if I need that much tire. They don't even make an IROK to fit my setup.

More feedback is needed, brothers. Any other manufacturers I should look at?

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my friend has 33in goodyear M/T,s and they are holding up great.about 30,000+ miles. and they do work good in snow,he drives 75 mph in pretty slippery conditions.it's a 2000 dodge short bed off-road with a cap. and it blazes through all kinds of bad weather. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im running the 33x12.5 TrXus M/T on 15x8's on my daily driver I have about 5K on them. Very nice road manners and work well off-road so far. I paid $650 out the door.
    Gunna take awhile to see what kind of mileage I get from them. So far, minimal wear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I will have to agree with Bubba on this one.

A friend of mine (Beast388) has a set of MT/R's on his Burb, and likes them in the snow. He does not DD this rig, and we have not had any ice this year. I would plan my tire purchase towards ice performance, and you need siping for that.

The Goodyear AT/S I currently have, have turned out to be the best tire I have owned in the snow.

Good luck on the 33x10.50....I think BFG used to make a 34x9.50....

9. Can Can

How's the road noise with the TruXus's? Have you heard anything about how they perform on snow and ice?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    How's the road noise with the TruXus's? Have you heard anything about how they perform on snow and ice?

[/ QUOTE ]

It slipped my mind, but there's a guy in NCOR that runs these tires and he's always heading to the mountains to go skiing. MilpitasK5 is his screen name.

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

BFG-MTs...I love 'em! on or off highway! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well Paul, to be totally honest and frank with ya... I would avoid the Swampers. I had a set of TSL SXs on mine, and although they were good in the deep snow, left me more than once stuck on hard packed snow/ ice in a parking lot on a gradual grade. I also tried a set of TSLs... same thing... not nice to drive on the hard packed ice and snow. If Canmore is anything like Cold Lake, they dont plow the roads till there is a minimum accumulation of packed snow up to 4" or so... the Swampers all sucked. TRXUs... dunno, but my opinion... you wont like anything like that. For the money... Id recommend the Kumho/ Marshal radial MTs. They run 198.00 up here for a 35x12.5, 33s are around 160.00 I think. I run them as a daily tire, then swap on the big gnarlies for the mud trips. I get decent mileage out of them... like pushing 60000 km easily. IMHO they work very well in deep snow, very good on hard packed, pretty darn good in mud, and great everywhere else. In fact I just got back from a wheeling trip in the snow. I had my 35" Marshals, we were pushing prolly 18" of snow most of the time and I didnt have any real troubles. A friend was with us with the 33x12.5 Kumhos and he did really good. They are good on the highway... balance up good, they have a bit of a howl, but its not excessive. I like them a lot and for the price, I will use them for my daily road tires till the day I sell the truck.

Mike

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine (Beast388) has a set of MT/R's on his Burb, and likes them in the snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I put my 35" MT/R's on in November, so the only non-pavement experience I have with them so far is snow. They grip much better than the BFG MT's they replaced. Every time I drive my Burb in the snow, I am more impressed with them. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

They seem to be wearing quite well but they haven't seen a ton of highway miles yet. We'll see how they do in the goo this spring. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just put a set of Goodyear MTR's on my truck. I had 35" BFG MT's before that and BFG AT's before that. I like my AT's but I needed more agressive for rockcrawling. The BFG MT's are good tires but I like the MTR's better. I was a die hard BFG man before the MTR's. I havent had the MTR's in ice or snow yet but I am betting they will do well.

Last year when I lived in Colorado I noticed that alot of guys ran the Goodyear MTR's on there DD trucks and loved them. I personally would get them siped if you see a fair amount of ice and snow.

I had the BFG MT's siped. Cost $10 per tire at Discount. The had alot more grab then the did before the sipe. If and when I move back to Colorado I will run siped MTR's. I have also heard the siping a tire increases tread wear so it would be benificial to you on both the traction and longevity issue.

Harley

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I just put a set of Goodyear MTR's on my truck. I had 35" BFG MT's before that and BFG AT's before that. I like my AT's but I needed more agressive for rockcrawling. The BFG MT's are good tires but I like the MTR's better. I was a die hard BFG man before the MTR's. I havent had the MTR's in ice or snow yet but I am betting they will do well.

Last year when I lived in Colorado I noticed that alot of guys ran the Goodyear MTR's on there DD trucks and loved them. I personally would get them siped if you see a fair amount of ice and snow.

I had the BFG MT's siped. Cost $10 per tire at Discount. The had alot more grab then the did before the sipe. If and when I move back to Colorado I will run siped MTR's. I have also heard the siping a tire increases tread wear so it would be benificial to you on both the traction and longevity issue.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

People have said that the BFG M/T's suck in the snow and ice. How well did the siped ones that you had work?

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I didn't have them very long on the ice or snow before I came back to AZ. they seemed to work ok though. No real problems. The siped MTs grabbed every once of traction on the street that was available though. It was pretty brutal with the welded rear axle I have. Hopped around corners, etc. If there was traction to be had they were grabbing all of it.

My AT's did really well in the snow and ice. I ran those alot longer in the snow and ice. With 32" tires I drove around threw 30+" of snow. I do have lockers though. Only problem I had was making left hand turns with the welded rear and a shift kit in the trans. If the trans shifted 1-2 in a sweeping left hand turn it would break the rearend loose. That was the only problem I had.

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The tires are pretty quiet for how agressive they look.
    I really dont notice them and im running stock exhaust and radio /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The tires are siped.
    I didnt want to spend over $600-650 for tires and these were within my budget.

Heres some reviews from the Heep guys /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

web page
    web page

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

12.5 wide on the 15x8 ralley's you have will look good and perform well. Most of the 33-35" radial MT's run fairly narrow compared to the advertised section width, especially on an 8" rim.

I had BFG MT's on my truck when I bought it...had them for about a year and got rid of them. They were OK, howled a fair bit on the highway though and mine didn't wear very well. I replaced them with General Grabber MT's, and those did OK off road, but I couldn't keep them balanced. They ride rougher than my unbalanced 39.5" TSL's for some reason.

I have heard decent things about the Marshalls and Kumho's.

For DD use with a fair amount of miles annually you should really not consider Swampers of any description. I drive maybe 10,000 km per year and I'll be lucky to get 2 1/2 years out of my Swampers.

Rene

19. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

If you are going to do any sort of mud running, dont go with MTRs. They just dont perform well at all. At least from what Ive seen. In fact, the guy who owns the local off-road park classes them as all-terrains when he rates trucks for his trails. He really doesnt like em. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, I have a few guys here in the club that have them, one guy had 33s, one had 35s, and he now has 37s. They are very good on the street... quiet, smooth etc, and we had a Jeep Rubicon out with us in the snow today that didnt have any trouble at all with his 35 MTRs. They just dont like mud I guess... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

20. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

If you are going to do any sort of mud running, dont go with MTRs. They just dont perform well at all. At least from what Ive seen. In fact, the guy who owns the local off-road park classes them as all-terrains when he rates trucks for his trails. He really doesnt like em. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, I have a few guys here in the club that have them, one guy had 33s, one had 35s, and he now has 37s. They are very good on the street... quiet, smooth etc, and we had a Jeep Rubicon out with us in the snow today that didnt have any trouble at all with his 35 MTRs. They just dont like mud I guess... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike