Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 16, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I swore I made this post already but it must have been one of those closed before I hit submit things.

I have wanted to get an M1 Garand for a while. Something about the history and way they look I like. I would use it for target shooting and display, nothing else really. Anyway, anyone know the market value of one nowadays? Haven't bothered looking at the gun shops around here lately. Walking into one would be a mistake right now(bye bye what money I have).

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I was in a gun shop a week or so ago, and they had a few Garands, I think a couple were Springfield and one was IMI. The Springfields were a little more expensive IIRC, something like $1100 for the Springfields and maybe $900 for the IMI? It's been a while and I wasn't seriously looking at the M1s, so those figures probably aren't accurate. They're cool guns though, quick to mount and they feel like they'd be comfortable to shoot. They're freaking huge though, way bigger than I expected.

Get an M1A (M-14). I would marry one of those things.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

They are going for $1000+ in any kind of usable condition. You find one under that, jump on it.

John

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

BINGO!
    This is where I'm getting mine from shortly.
    These rifles are more "shooters" than "lookers", which is what I want. I don't care if the bluing isn't quite matched on all the parts, or if the furniture is a little rough... as long as it puts rounds downrange.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh I'd probably get a nicer one myself. Something you could hang on the wall but still put rounds down with.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Every once in a while Big 5 sporting goods sells some M1s. I looked at one at my local store. It was in well used feild grade condition. They still are in good shootable condition. IIRC They sell them for around $350-400. But for that price it would be fun to have one to shoot now and then. Dont think you could go wrong buying one. The value will always go up.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There used to be a marksmanship program thru the NRA, where you could buy a gov surplus one to compete with in NRA matches. You miht do a little research and see if it is still in effect.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I've seen ads for that recently in Petersen's. I think the link Chris posted has something to do with it.

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I picked mine up through the DCMP about 12 years ago. It's an old Springfield in great condition. I think you'll be happy going this route. I paid $250 for it back then....