Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1008 24 to 12volt conversion and starter always has power?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86Cucvbeater, Oct 27, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Ok, so the other day I tried to start my cucv and the starter wouldnt catch on the flywheel so I turned the key back and it kept trying to start! Had to pull a terminal off the batterys to get it to stop and when I tried to reconnect it it would arc bad and the starter would spin again. I thought the starter was bad(I had been having problems with the starter engaging the flywheel before and I found no starter wires grounding anywhere) so I decided to go ahead and do a 12 volt coversion following the site http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf. Got to step 12 where you take the condenser off the pass side alt. and could not see this on my alternator. So figured maybe I just dont have one :confused:

Got everything done according to the writeup and tried to put on a negative cable and it arcd again and the starter kicks but theres still no key in the ignition. The cables are being hooked up right and I put on a new gear reduction 12volt starter(and put on the bracket that goes to the block this time lol). Im thinking my problem is somewhere in the steering column. I searched but no one with this problem had a diagram of what I should be looking for in the column and how to fix it. The starter relay behind the dash near the gas pedal is new. Just got dark so Im done for today.
    Also, anyone know about this alternator condensor?? Why dont I have this? My drivers side didnt have it either..

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or wiring to me...

3. 86Cucvbeater

Ok, got the truck working today. Although my starter relay was relatively new it was corroded badly inside and was stuck closed. Cleaned it out and all is good now. :p: Now my alternator doesnt seem to be charging the batteries. I have a new one I'll put on tomorrow, but maybe this has something to do with the condensor I was supposed to take off of it.. anyone know what that thing is?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I can probably snap a pic of mine... basically just there for radio interference as far as I know.

5. 86Cucvbeater

Thats alright. My alternator seems to be working just fine. Anyone have a starter relay for a cucv? I could use one as a spare. Thanks