Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1008 & 6.2 Questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DukeBoy88, Mar 20, 2004.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I've been looking for a 6.2 K30 for a while and came across a M1008. It has a rust free Georgia body and 50,000 miles. I crawled all over it and the only non-minor problem I found was colapsed front shackles with flattened springs which gave it severe DW (It was being used as a plow truck). the owner didn't want to lower his price of $3,900 so I walked away. a week later he calls me and has fixed every thing I found wrong, new springs, bushings, shackles, etc. I'm going back to take it for another drive.
    a couple questions:
    This would be my work truck, toy hauler etc. I don't plan to lift it or increase the tire size. I've been playing with the ratios on a rpm calculator, what is the maximum sustained rpm for a 6.2 for atleast 30min highway?

I only got to work on these for about a year before they were replaced with humvees in my unit. on the firewall of this truck someone has installed an aftermarket spin-on fuel filter, I don't see any signs of a water seperator, wouldn't this cause problems? my memory might be a little rusty.

The only leak of any kind was from the front main seal, it was enough to make the front of the pan wet but nothing else. common - uncommon - easy fix?

got a couple more questions but I gotta go to work.
    thanks in advance

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have no trouble spinning mine at 2700 rpm for hours at a time on the freeway...

I'd consider a small lift and some 35's if the freeway is a regular part of your routine. You'd be able to run ~60 mph at about 2700 rpm.

Rene

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I agree with Rene, with the 4.56 gears(assuming it's still stock) you'll need something bigger than the 275s or whatever it has on it... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well my buddy has a dually crew cab with the 6.2, 4.56 rear axle ratio (2wd) and the TH400 which will never give you full direct drive and he drives 65MPH for hours and that puts him above 3000 RPM most of the times.
    He has the smaller stock size tires ~26" tires.
    It might not be the best RPM range but so far it works, been so for the past 2 years.
    I would rather see 2600 minus like Rene said it would be comfortable, but if it's what you got, and since towing usually requires slower speeds, you should be good to go.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'll shoot for 2700 then. which a 3.73 should give me with about a 30" tire. I'm trying hard not to lift this one, too many projects for now. however I see no problem with a banks kit down the road to help tow. thanks for the replys.