Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1008 Guru's -what's this for ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bandit4369, Jan 7, 2007.

1. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

New project, 86 M1008, 6.2, th400, 208, 60/14, It was rolled over on its roof, but only has 30,00 miles on it. While checking it out I came across this and am not sure of what it is or does. I'm sure some of our M1008 gurus can enlighten me. It's located on the back right side, just in front of the rear axle. The bracketry for it attaches to the right frame rail and the lever towards the rear attaches to a bracket on the rear end. The lines running into and out of it are brake lines.

4.JPG

use1.JPG

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Its a height sensing valve, it changes the vehicles brake bias based on how much of a load it is carrying. Its on my truck, it was on a part burban I had. I think its just 3/4ton up, and then it was only after a certain year.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Its a pretty common setup on the '81 and newer 3/4 and 1 tons. I'd toss it out as my '85 K30 has it disconnected.

You can either remove the vertical bar or disconnect the output line that goes into the valve and hook that line to the rubber line fitting at the bracket. Doing this cleans up the valve area under the frame.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The previous owner of my Burb bypassed it. Problem on that truck was the rears would lock up WAY before the fronts on a hard stop. Wasn't terrible, just something you had to remember when you stabbed the brake. Others have bypassed theirs and not had the same result either.

5. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I figured it had something to do with the brakes, but wasn't sure exactly what. I knew some one here would have the answer. Thanks again