Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1008: How much tire with no lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I swear there was a thread about this, but I can't find it... anyway, anyone know how much tire you can get under a stock M1008, no lift? It sits pretty high, so I'm thinking 33's at least would fit no problem. If anyone had pics with bigger, that'd be great.

Also, is it realistic to get something like 35" tires, keep the E load rating, and have somewhat aggressive tread still? Hmm. I guess Humvees have 35" tires and those things are like 2 ton or something. :thinking:

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

Humvees have 37's. depends on which tire you go with, BFG 35's are actually 34", ive seen those under stock height trucks. dont think 35" swampers would fit w/o trimming

3. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I've got 35" x-terains on mine with a little trimming and massage
    no rubbing at all even at full stuff and full lock

4. Mastiff

Have any pics you could put up?

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Some humvee's had 36's too. It will also depend on your wheel choice.

6. Mastiff

I'd plan on sticking with my stock CUCV wheels, which are 16".

7. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

Mastif: go to steelsoldiers.com and look in the photo gallery under 85-m1028, I have since painted it but the tire pic in there. if you're going with the stock rims a 10" wide tire may be max with out rubbing at the factory offset, which will limit your selection. I am running 17"x9" steels with 35" x12.5 xterains, 4.56 gears and 3sp auto + diesel not great on the open road even with 35's should have gone with a built 700r4 instead of rebuilding the 400:doah:

8. Mastiff

Cool, thanks. Looks good, and like there's decent room still. So little articulation with the 1.25 ton suspension that you don't have to worry about too much "stuff". :wink1:

9. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I put some es9000 shocks on the front set for 0-2" lift and a big old 5/8" shaft so the shock being a little taller is now the limiting factor for uptravel but allows for a little more droop, but my factory springs are shot, I got death wobbles 3 times on my way home today so I will be looking at a new set of springs a.s.a.p. not really sure which ones work well for the 6.2 "weight wise"

10. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

one guy on here says he got 38" michelin military tires on his army pickup with no trimming.

i'd like to that "some day".

11. Mastiff

You think your factory springs are shot or something? I use my truck to haul stuff, so if I ever replace the springs I'll want to keep the 1-ton rating, even though it's not best for offroad stuff. Something to keep in mind I guess.

Doesn't national Spring make lots of custom springs? I wonder if you could just ask them for factory (or 1-2"? lift) springs for a 1-ton K30 with diesel.

12. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

well the combination of taller tires and the heavy offset of the rims could also be contributing factors, my springs are inverted and the bushings are shot too just needs to be gone through. It does it randomly, its a combination of bump, hop while the brakes are applied and BAM death wobbles!! It make a big difference when there is a load in the back, it rides like a caddilac!! Deaver Spring Co. isn't far from me I might see what they have, could get expensive!!