Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1008 Tire/wheel question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob535, Mar 26, 2003.

1. BillyBob535

BillyBob535 Registered Member

I am looking to buy an M1008 for a tow vehicle. I expect to run it on the street most of the time plus weekend trips to the local drive on beaches and fishing spots. I want to run the 37" Goodyear Humvee tires and (radial)wheels on it with little or no lift. I found a place to change the backspace of the rim so they will not be set so far in. I searched here and other places and found great info but still wanted advice on a few things. Here are my questions:

Will Bushwacker cut out style fender flares allow enough room for these tires or will I need a body lift (The sway bar will stay connected so there won't be any extra articulation)?

If I need a body lift should it be a 2" or 3"?

Is there a kit that you would recommend over the others?

Most importantly, how much backspace should I end up with running those 37's on the humvee rims? I can choose any backspace I want and they will make it for me.

Any other suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BillyBob535

Anyone?

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mine had Coopers on a 16" rim.

4. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I put 11.00x16 michelins on the stock rims of my m1008. They are 38.5 tall but only 10.5 wide. I like them but they are not easily available used and new they are outrageously expensive, $300 plus /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif They barely fit with no lift and minor fender trimming. Do wonders for the the gearing, the 4.56's and small stock tires really limit speeds. The hummer rims and tires are a good alternative, hard to say exactly how much lift is required because the m1008 chassis sits a little higher than all the K5's most people have experience with. Plus the stiffness of the 1ton will limit flexibility. I think the stock 16" rims have 4.5" of backspacing, keep the tires as far inboard as possible and you will minimize lift and cutting. The real answer is measure it

5. MuddyBronco

MuddyBronco Registered Member

Just FYI, USA6x6 now has the 11x16 XML's with 70% tread or better for $150 each. If you're within driving distance of Lawton OK, that's a pretty smokin deal IMO. Interestingly, for the same price you can get 53x17" XZL's from them, if you're into monster tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They do say they have 80% discounts on freight though, so I guess even if you're not near OK you can still get some sweet deals on some hefty tires /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. BillyBob535

Thanks.

7. BillyBob535

[ QUOTE ]
    I put 11.00x16 michelins on the stock rims of my m1008. They are 38.5 tall but only 10.5 wide. They barely fit with no lift and minor fender trimming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a pic of this?