Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

M1009?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Sep 5, 2000.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Are the m1009 3/4 tons??? or are they just a 1/2 ton???

Scott
    78blazer

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert on these, but I do know that they came with 10bolts front and rear. This makes them a 1/2 ton in my book.

3. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Huh I am going to a millitary surplus auction and on there list it said there was a 3/4 ton m1009. Of course that is why I am going though..

Scott
    78blazer

4. In my 14+ years of service in the Army I have never seen a 3/4 ton M1009. If you want a plain wore out Diesel blazer then the M1009 is for you. Imagine thousands of different people driving your blazer and not having to pay to fix it if it breaks !! That would pretty much be the life of a military vehicle !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

5. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

It doesnt have a motor or trans in it. Claims to have approximately 36,000 miles on it. I would just put all my stuff from my other blazer in it.. I am interested mostly in the body is all..

Scott
    78blazer

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The Blazer style M1009's we have are 1/2 ton. We just received some replacements for ours that carry the same designation (M-1009) but they're Suburbans. I haven't really had a chance to check them out except to see that they are running a 6.5 for an engine.

7. That is all that would be good anyway !! The drivetrain has had the hardest 30,00 miles it could of ever had !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

8. four50four

four50four Registered Member

I read somewhere that even though they have 1./.2 ton gear, they are classified as 3/4 tons on the ownership. Not sure though

Keith

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Go to Andy's site. It's got all the info you will ever need on CUCV's
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Highway/3969/cucvpage.htm
    They are classified as 3/4 ton, but they run (basically) the same gear as your run of the mill blazer. 6.2 diesel, Th400, 208...blah blah blah.

Andy's is the best site I've found for the info, check it out.

Kyle
    89K5

10. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well I went to the auction preview today checked it out the body is in awsome shape and no one that was there seemed to be looking at it so I am hoping I can pick it up real cheap tommorow..

Scott
    78blazer

11. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

They are classified as 3/4 ton because of the add a leaf springs front and rear. Prior mechanic in the Army and owner of a 79 Blazer Blazer with an 86 m1009 body.

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Have to take back my post on the M1009 being a 1/2 ton. I checked out the data plate today and everyone's right about them being classified as 3/4 ton. Not too sure I believe it but that's what's stamped in the plate.

13. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well after today I am now a new owner of a M1009, got alot of work ahead of me now.

Scott
    78blazer

14. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

15. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I wound up giving 900.oo for it , no doors trans transfercase motor or top. But I brought it home and threw a top and doors on it, I'll start on the motor this week, gotta 400 thats goin in it..

Anyone know if I will have to switch my wiring harness to??

Scott
    78blazer

16. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I feel for you. I bought my M1009 one year ago. The wiring harness has a lot of unnessary wires, thanks to the military. I reused the harness but pulled it out of the truck and spent two days at the kitchen table yanking out the unneeded wires. The trickiest part is rewiring the headlights and parking lights if you get rid of the military lighting. If you have any questions just call.
    Steve Frisbie
    Sept Blazer of the month

17. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well I crawled under the truck turns out the dummies cut the wires off.. So I guess I am gonna have to do some re-wiring now..

Scott
    78blazer

18. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve just curious to know was your truck complete when you bought it? Did come from a auction or an individual. And do you know how much these things normally go for at these auctions this was the first one I had ever been to. The truck was issued to the Forestry Department, wasnt actually a millitary truck it was used in there fire department.

Scott
    78blazer

19. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I purchased mine from a military surplus sales. It was complete except for motor and transmission. I paid $1000.00. Mine spent time in the army and then was used also by the forestry service. I don't know how much they would cost at a government auction.

Steve

20. Andy M

Andy M Registered Member

Prices at govt auctions are anywhere from $150.00 to $3k depending on the truck and who is doing the bidding (sealed bid). It also depends what DRMO you are shopping at (goes back to who is bidding). As an example, the truck in this photo was sold for $1878.50 last week, a fair amount, maybe a little high considering the body damage, but the truck was all there, only missing the dash cover and headlights. These trucks are very popular, so the supply and demand issue comes into play on these. It was interesting seeing all the people eyeballing this truck on the day I went there to look at what was being sold at that sale.
    Andy