Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maaco mess *UPDATED w/pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCJimmy, Jun 27, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Jimmy DD project was on track. Stripped all paint, sanded, primered, block sanded, then went to Maaco for a reasonable paint job.

Went with the Supreme paint, base/clear. Paid extra for lifted truck, painting top seperately. Went by today to take a look, and My God!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Orange peel city... and "chunks " of something in the paint.
    What a fawking joke. Looked like it was sprayed while outside, under a tree. Going back to have the owners a$$ on Monday, is this typical of their work?

None of the other vehicles I saw there looked this way.
    Not the cheapo route either, $1,400 job with hood and jambs.

And NO WARRANTY, 'cause I prepped it myself. (Learned that after the fact) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Anybody else have this experience? I know I did good surface prep work, WTF???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wasn't expecting a $$$$ paint job outcome, but after weeks of prep work, I figure they could at least keep the chit out of the wet paint. Front counter girlie claims they can buff it out????????

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: Maaco mess

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'd get hold of Burt Reynold's and take him in for backup. Sorry, Bud, but You get what You pay for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

If they have someone there that knows what they are doing they can go back and wet sand it and buff it out. I would wait until their done with it before you chew on someones A$$. But if they leave it like that I would be all over the guy who did it and the manager. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Eric

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I avoid Maaco like the plague. You can buy your own paint gun, setup a paint booth in the garage and try your own hand at it. It's not real hard..just need a good compressor and filter

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

spray paint
    high gloss spray paint
    and decals

6. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    spray paint
    high gloss spray paint
    and decals

[/ QUOTE ]

Hindsight being 20/20 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah I know, Cheapo is as Cheapo costs.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My problem is I was going cheap ($399) just to get paint on it. The owner made my prep work an issue, said that it really looked good, but they could not warranty it cause they did not do it.

The $$$ base/clear was supposed to look better and last longer.

I'm just pissed cause the trash in the paint looks like small lumps of primer or sanding dust, and I'm sure it won't take long for the H20 to get under there, and I'm back to where I started.

No warranty = /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Maaco seemed like a good idea at the time, kinda like 10 bolts and a gov lock.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'll see how the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif looks on Monday....

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

As long as the peel isnt too bad, it can be buffed out to look fine. As long as there is enough paint there to buff. MEaning that they didnt skimp on the coats.

Also, I havent heard much good about Maaco to start with.

Ken H.

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

if u cant buff it out just have a NORMAL paint shop, who has a grasp on reality do some touch up.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I hadn't heard much good about Maaco either but my Dad had a truck painted there once.

It was an 80 F250 that I did a ton of rust repair on. The rust repair went real good, but he didn't have a lot of money for paint. He sent it unprepped to the local Maaco and told them what color he wanted...

They prepped it and painted it for $600 cdn, that was in early 95 and that paint still looks good. I know it's never seen wax too.

That being said I'm going to be painting my truck at a friends barn with his gun and some Endura I got for free from a place I used to work at.

Maaco should have at least wiped the truck down and sprayed it in a booth...even if you did the prep there shouldn't be blobs of dust under the paint.

Rene

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

first thing...ask if they primed it first,they like to paint without priming so if your prep prim was not conpatable with there paint it will bubble...but if they did put primer on then it should not of been a problem, and I just got that same paint job from one here in so cal and I made then prime it cause I too payed extra for the paint job...

11. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

One thing I'll throw at ya. If you did the prep, they most likely didn't wash it good. Did you spend some time at the car wash or with a high pressure washer?

Most of the trash that gets in a "all over" comes from the vehicle itself. If you did the prep/body work, most likely all they did is wipe it with pre-cleano and maybe tacked it off. Once they started spraying the trash in the cowl, wheelwells, ect. kicked up and got it your paint.

As far as the orange peel goes, they messed up if it's bad. They can't get out of that one by saying they didn't prep it! As some others have said, it's most likely fixable. Water sand the really bad areas with some worn out 600, then something like 800 or so. You want every part of the truck "dull". Be very carefull around the sharp body edges so you wont sand though the clear. Then the hard work, buffing it. If you have never buffed a vehicle with rubbing/polishing compound and a buffer, don't start now. Do it by hand or at least only use the buffer on the flat areas like the hood and sides. Stay away from any body line, better yet put some masking tape on them to make sure you don't burn though.

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune. It's mostly fixable though. Sometimes they do pretty good, sometimes they don't. Sorta depends on who their painter is at the time and if you happen to get someone who is still learning. If they are not making much on it has alot to do with whether or no you get the newbie.

12. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

How did you pay for it? If you used a credit card, then you have the option of contesting the charge when it shows up on your card.

Basically, the shop will not get paid until things are cleared up.

If you did not pay via credit card:
    1) take lots of pix of the work in question.
    2) get an estimate from another shop re: how much $$$to fix it properly.
    3) get the name and # of the MAACO regional manager. Call him w/ your problem and present him w/ all of this info. Include hard copies of this thread so that he is aware of this opportunity for him to be a hero or to be responsible for a lot of bad press.
    4) during all conversations w/ these people, tell them that you want it fixed w/in a specific time period (2 weeks) and that if it is not done w/in this time frame, you will take him to small claims court.
    5) if they jerk you around....take tham to court. It costs them a lot more $$than you, and you have a very good chance of winning. You do not need a lawyer to do this.

Good Luck

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:
    McMaaco called today to let me know the truck is ready. I asked the caller if the problems I noted had been fixed.
    The reply was- What problems? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Headed to the shop for some A$$. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    The Counter Gal I spoke with quit, and now nobody knows anything about it! When I was last there, the base coat had just been sprayed. Now they have also sprayed the clear over the trash...

Sooo I waited for the owner to arrive from his other store.

Looked at the truck, he fessed up to the poor job and quality.

Several other vehicles in the shop with same paint job, but no trash in the paint. He's gonna make it right, but won't get it back till next week.

Buyer beware, paint it yerself if you can.

Could have gone 1ton for what I have in this paint, and still gotten the $299 special.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Another lesson learned.

We'll see what it looks like next week.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hope it works out for you in the end. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifPost some pics when you get it back.

Eric

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one thing that helps with a maaco paint job is to pull as much of the exterior stuff off as ya can.... side mirrors, those lil "K5 Blazer" chromy thingies, all the trim you can etc etc etc etc... the maaco guys are legendary for their taped-it-off-kinda-ghetto approach so doing all this stuff yourself plus any wacky prep work you need to do will help alot with the el-cheapo special deals...

j

16. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Stripped and prepped.

Pic here...

And...

Here...
    Tail lights, mirrors and side markers back on for the trip over...

Block sanded that sucker too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i almost wen't to maaco,myself. but i decided it was going to gat bent up anyway, so i painted it with the rattle can,(GRABBER GREEN ENGINE ENAMAL).the new fender's seem to hold the paint better then the old painted ones. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

this is what I got from them, if you look close all the black parts were off the truck when it was painted and I painted them as I put them back on...I spent around 40 hours prepping before taking it in for painting....
    hope you get a nice job this time...

[​IMG]

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

as you may or may not know orange peel is most commonly from dirty(typicaly greasy or solvent based "dirt") surface.

Macco and earl schieb. i dont trust them. my sister took her datsun b210 in to ES and they painted it the WRONG color. a different shade of green from what she picked. she did get the cheap job. but they would not even admit it was a diff color. you could take the color card that was on the invoice to the car and see the car was about 6 shades lighter. funny crap.

im sorry to say this, and im sorry you got a bad paint job. but i think your going to take the shaft, or take it to court.
    good luck ethier way.
    Grant

20. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I took my prepped 86 to maaco. I'll never ever go back there again. It's peeling off, cracking, etc. Looks pretty horrible up close. Plus, it always looks dirty, even if I wax it. Total crap, when you prep it yourself I think they do a crappy job on purpose to show you that you should have had them prep it, plus no warranty.