Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maaco or Earl Scheib any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-383, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Looking to get my K5 painted soon but I'm worried these shops paint over the bugs. Anyone have anything to add? How much should I expect to pay for a stock quality paint job? Are these types of shops worth the time? How long do they take?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just gather info and doing my research.

Kelvin

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Lets just say you get what you pay for and I'll leave it at that.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2 I would expect a good quality paint job to run around 2-3k. Bodywork and other issues can quickly add up the cost. Like Muddytazz says, you get what you pay for in a paint job. That's not to say that either of the places you mentioned couldn't lay down a decent looking paint job that would at least last a few years.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

while they're not the most respected, the so-called "dealership" where he bought his 84 k5 took his truck to maaco and had it painted - it looked pretty dang good except for the overspray on the running boards. that problem was easily solved by removing those crappy things anyway. i wouldn't take my rig to 'em, but my buddy's truck looks pretty nice.

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think that if you rolled in with the fiberglas top removed, all the glass removed, all the trim pulled, and all the surfaces prepped, they could probably do a halfway decent job.

If you want a quality paint job done by someone else (other than yourself), you have to lay out some significant cash, but you can reduce the price by doing as much prep as you can.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

No they can't. Well they might. It's a luck thing at that point. I've a horror story to tell about a Maaco shop, but let's just say I learned the hard way, with paint jobs, it's a direct linear relationship how good it will be vs. how much you pay.

Doing as much prep as you can is a good thing in any case though.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I knew I told this story before.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119702

I think the lure of these places, obviously, is the price. And one thinks, as I did, that how bad can it really be. You don't want to pay $1000 or $1500 or more, so the $500 special starts looking pretty good. Well, let's start with the paint itself. If you want a decent quality paint, your looking at least $500 right there. So whay kind of paint is Maaco using? Who knows. The good jobs spend lots and lots of time sanding and filling and sanding and filling. Did I mention sanding.? And more sanding, and even more time sanding.
    So how bad can it be, it can be bad. Runs, overspray, visible spray arcs, no primer (even though they say it will be primed), no final sand, opps forgot to tape off that emblem, and then the paint starts flaking and fading in 3months time.
    I'd say, in very very general terms, any job less than $1000 is not going to worth it. If you want anything of ok quality, $1500, good job, $2000, show quality...$3000 to $10,000 and up....

8. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

my friend took his truck in stripped (grille,all chrome)he did all the bodywork and taped up $500. paint job 200. for cab and 300 for the bed.
    looked good for the week he owned it:D

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a car painted by Maaco. Paint looked good for about 12 years until we painted it again. I looked at several cars painted there and asked for a specific painter. So ask alot of questions look at other cars done there if the other cars are not up to par don't go there. I know a body shop here in town that charges 1200 bucks for a paint job and I have never seen a nice car come out of their shop. Basically you have to look at other cars that have come out of the shop and ask who painted them.

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Expect to pay extra unless you want a *custom* window tint job, if you know what i mean ;)

11. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I had my Nova painted at Earl sheib years ago and was pleasanly surprised with the quality and got tons of compliments. My parents sent it to them without letting me know as a birthday present. A couple notes
    mask it yourself or remove body moldings
    Maaco's pricing is kind of deceiving there advertised price isn't what it will cost the $499 advertised price was over $1k
    keep in mind the amount of cars these guys paint compared to other shops because of there price...their bound to get good at it eventually

12. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Me and my dad just paint everything.

Then again he's been a painter for 28 years:D

If you want a nice job its gonna cost you. To save money I'd recomend doing as much of the prep work as possible.

13. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

I've had a car paint at earl scheib, it turned out pretty nice. I didn't do any prep work but I did talk to the painter and he did it on the side.

14. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Painting is all in the prep work. Makko paints just almost as well as anyone else, just there prep sucks. prep it yourself and you should be ok.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

One piece of advice.... if you do the Maaco thing, remove ALL the trim etc and do ALL the prep work yourself. They won't do hardly anything, unless you ask for it specifically and pay more $ for it. Better to just do it all yourself. Even then it won't be stock-quality... but it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper than a high end paint job would. How is this truck gonna be used? I got a Maaco job years ago, now I wish I hadn't spent even that amount of money. Not because Maaco sucks... just because its a offroad only rig and paint is way, way down the priority list.

j

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

When looking at getting my '88 crewcab painted several years back I wished we had something similar in the area to consider. Went to a few body shops and none were really interested in doing total vehicle repaints, more money in repairs than repaints for the amount of time involved. Asked them about me doing most of the prep work and them spraying, they weren't interested.

As was stated before, prep work makes the paint job. They weren't interested in sparying a vehicle they didn't prep. Poor prep works would make it look bad and people would only remember who sprayed it, not prepped. Made sense to me.

Now if they would re-clear coat my 32' motorhome for $500:laugh: ! One est started at $4500, no damage and has smooth fiberglass sides.

17. magictony

magictony Newbie

What I did was I went to a local body shop at closing time and caught some of the workers as they were leaving and asked them if they do side jobs. Of course they said yes. One guy painted, fixed both doors, filled the holes left from the spare tire carrier that I removed, adjusted my hood, and put all new weatherstripping for $750. It came out great.

18. reverett

reverett Registered Member

From what the body shop guys I work with in my day job say is to have all the prep work done by a real bodyshop, and then let Maaco spray the car. Most collision body shops don't have the booths to paint an entire car, or the booth time, but Maaco does.

When my friend had his car painted at Maaco they showed him a few cars that were completed in their parking lot, each one with a different paint package. That way he saw their work first hand before deciding.

Also you can ask your local collision shop which Maaco in your area is best, they wont be offended, they make plenty of money from doing $3K fender jobs for insurance companies.

Rob...