Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maaco paint job ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by patrickcampbell, Sep 14, 2003.

1. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

I got an estimate to have my 84 blazer painted by maaco.
    He said 840 for the new paint. Is that a good price and does anybody have opinions on maaco paint or pics of there work.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

STAY AWAY>>>>FAR AWAY!!!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    STAY AWAY>>>>FAR AWAY!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

RUN

I wouldn't let Maaco paint my truck for free! You could buy your own compressor, gun, and paint for that price and do a better job!!!!!

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

maaco is a bad bad man...orange peels and such are commonplace from their work...

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

they do not do good work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I don't even like to drive by Maaco. I have some friends who got fair paint jobs from Maaco but they did all the prep and masking themselves.

If you fill out your profile so we know where you located someone on the board may know of a reputable place near you.

7. patrickcampbell

i am in sonoma county, california

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If you plan to wheel it in any areas with brush, might as well learn how to paint yourself.

That way, you can repaint your truck , as needed , when the paint can no longer be "buffed out." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i am in sonoma county, california

[/ QUOTE ]

If you simply want a basic paint job, find a place that is like an autobody school..... they can paint your truck for a good price, usually the cost of paint, and do a better job then Maaco.

Being in the area you are, I suggest too looking for an Asian or Mexican type of business. There are ones around here in Sac that do sweet work for awesome prices. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

As with any auto body shop check out the rigs they are painting and such and see what paint they are using.
    I worked at Maaco for about a year. I sprayed all cars with Nason 2K urathane paint. dealer cars, $199 specials..
    They had the Nason enamal paint but that stuff was nasty to shoot, the paint was always flat, orange peeled ETC..
    I didn't have a $20 Craftsman paint gun, I had a Matson HVLP, Very nice gun.
    We had a good crew on the paint line too, I didn't have to send to many back.
    As the painter I ran the paint line and if I let one get through that had to be reshot that was money out of my pocket. Working flat rate a reshoot was a freebie.
    We turned out good work. Which was cool because we had alot of classics roll through just on word of mouth.
    I'll never forget the owner of the 72 Vette that I painted red.
    He was going off on the manager about how he was not going to pay for the cut and buff when he didn't ask for it.
    The car had just been unmasked... That was cool
    But that shop is not the norm, I quit that place and went lookin for work at others and the paint was poor quality and when I was doing the interviews (painting) I pointed out flaws and was told to shoot em anyway.
    I didn't want to work in shops like that and no serious shops would even talk to me so I went back to wrenching.
    Kinda funny I painted the dealer cars and the $199 specials with the same paint that the high end rigs got. Everyone got the same quality of work.
    I must admit I did put in more effort and time in a 71 Camaro being shot Hugger Orange inside and out than a Taures wagon being shot Ho Hum blue LOL.

11. patrickcampbell

I understand that maaco is well known for there shitty paint so I suppose the best thing for me to do is go check out some of the work they have done down at the shop here in cali. and maybe if anyone knows of some better places in the sonoma county area that are a good deal and better quality then let me know.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it definetly depends on the shop, my friend had three cars painted by maaco,over a ten year period. all three had runs around the turn signal lights in the fenders,and down at the bottom of the fenders.but there is a maaco in taylor,MI that does a great job.me i went with the rattle can paint job, easy touch up,hell i can even do it on the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif