Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maaco Paint update

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Nov 28, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So I got an idea after looking into the paint thing and called a couple of liner shops here, Rhino, Line-X, and Ultimate Linings. First two wanted an arm and a leg to line the entire body (+/- $2,000) and the last guy tells me about $500.

What do you guys think about this??

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

They both seem off. Tell the 2K guy that you will take off trim and mask what is left and see how much the price comes down.
    The 500.00 guy is probably not going to mask, or assumes you will. You can't do it for 500.00 using the stuff at the autopart stores.
    I have seen people offer 350.00 for a bedlined Blazer or heep tub though.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I talked to all of them and let them know I would be taking off the bumpers, trim, badges, lights etc. None of them would let me tape it (they use a "special" tape :rolleyes: )

This is also for exterior only, the tub is already lined by the PO.

Do you still think that $500 is too low? The Line-X and Rhino guys said $500 just for the rockers down, the other guy said whole truck.

Also, I don't know much about it, does the liner material fade badly? I was thinking blue or green.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

2 grand is way too high for the whole truck.

500 sounds fair to me if it's just labor. If it's labor and materials I'd ask just what he plans to do. If the guy is a pro and can do a good job quickly then 500 may seem perfectly fair to him.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the tape is a special tape, its got wire in it. this way when it peals it leaves a very diffined edge

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Find out what kind of guarantee the $500 guy has against fading and peeling and how long the guarantee is good for.[size=-1] [/size]

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

It is a professional shop, the ad in the yellow pages says "lifetime" warranty but he told me it will fade a little bit over years if I go with a color other than black, lifetime for peeling though.

And yes, the wire tape is exactly what he said it was.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

$500 doesn't sound THAT low. My dad's bed was $400 and my rocker panels were $400. His bed was vastly larger but it took longer to get my rocker panels right. The only thing extra they'd have to do to go up from the rockers is tape a little extra area. If you found a shop with a cheap hourly rate, I could see that price as being entirely possible.

I just got up and didn't read the entire thread so if these comments are totally random please disregard them.

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Couple years ago I was able to get the entire interior of my K5 Rhino Lined for $500. So the outside might be reasonable at that price considering there is less to tape.