Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Maaco Paint???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Nov 21, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking about getting the '72 painted and Maaco obviously has the lowest price. They are quoting me +/- $500 for a one stage paint and all the other local places are +/- $2,000 for a base coat/clear coat. Both of these quotes are sight unseen with no body work included.

I guess my questions are:

Is the Maaco job going to be crap

Is the base/clear significantly different than one-stage

Should I just shutup and rattle can the bastard

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The Maaco will start to peel in a few years. The other will last like a new car. All Maaco will do is scuff up the paint you have and blast it. Unless you're gonna make it a show truck...rattle can it.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Even the base/clear? I am looking at Maaco to do that soon ~$1800 and they said they would use extra clear so I can buff scratches... But it wont be much good if it peels.

4. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

single stage paint will start to fade and chalk in a couple years where as the 2 stage will stay nice for years.macco will minimal prep to the truck and you will start seeing problems soon after you get it back.comes down to what you want to do with it,how much you want to spend,and how long you are going to keep it.

5. 2Dogs

I only need minimal touch up as far as dings go. I want the paint to last thru 2-3 years of brush scratches (buff out 2 or 3 times a year). I do not need the paint perfect, just want something that looks 80 - 90%.

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

An air compressor, nice spray gun and the paint is going to be a lot less than what everyone else will charge you. Plus you can touch up the scratches when you need to.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have a different opinion.

If you will debadge and take the trim off yourself it will help. You can fill the dings with putty and sand it yourself. The Maaco paint jobs suffer from the same thing that makes all paint jobs suffer. THE PREP. You can spend some of your time and make the Maaco job last alot longer. Many of the flaking issues start at trim edges. Maaco doesn't pull trim for the cheaper jobs. Thus, the paint stops abruptly at the edges, leaving a weak spot. If you take the trim off and prep that area yourself, it will last longer. It allows the paint to terminate under the trim, not at the edge of it.
    Do go for the 2 stage.
    My .02

8. 2Dogs

Yes, that is what I would like to do - have friends with all the equipment, space, etc.... but it is 4 hours away. I would REALLY like to do this myself.

I have no place to do it local :(

Just did a PBB search to see if they have any people they recommend in the Bay.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the replies guys!

First off, maaco did not give me an option to go with a base/clear, just the single stage. (and for $1,800 I'll step up and pay the extra to the good shop)

I do have a good compressor but have never done paint, it intimidates me a little to think about doing it myself.

I will be keeping the K5 forever, I looked for 5 years for a decent first gen at a decent price, and will always need a camping/fishing/hunting/trail truck.

I will be glad to debadge, take off bumpers and do some prep, have no body experience though, and the little screw holes the PO made doing his half-ass soft top install will need to be welded (I think) and I have no welder or experience. Also, it will be rhinolined (or similar) from the lower trim down (which I can definitely do myself), so all trim is already gone, just not the badges.

Oh, 2Dogs: quit hijacking!! :D

10. 2Dogs

Re: hijack it was all for you my man! Lookit all you learned at my expense!!
    :D

Please keep us updated on your search and pricing.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Why do you ask, 2Dogs??

Love that

hijack off

12. 2Dogs

....2Dogs f'ing..... Somebody that understands the name ;):p:

Now that was a real hijack - sorry, back to paint :D

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Say that all the time

hijack really off

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Bring your truck and paint over here, and you can use our spray booth.

We painted my truck here, and we paint all of the big company trucks too.

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks Scott, if I can ever make it back over the hill for a weekend I'll take you up on that.

16. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I had never heard of Maaco until maybe a year ago, and I can honestly say that I have never heard anything good about them. From what I hear, even a total rookie could do as good as they do. I painted a fiberglass boat about 2 years ago and before that I had never painted a thing. I just took my time, prepped it really well, and it still looks great today. Not a run or blemish anywhere. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that most problems occur in painting when you get impatient and try to do too much at one time. I say prep it and try it yourself. You will probably be surprised at how good it will look.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had a major problem with my Maaco paint job until I started bouncing body panels off of rocks (duh). The key is to strip off everything (trim, side mirrors, badges etc etc etc) and do all the body work you want done before you even drop it off to them. Assume they won't do ANY prep work... cause they might not. Anyway, assuming you do that, and wax it from time to time you shouldn't have a problem. My paint isn't peeling.

j

18. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Their single stage paint is usually synthetic enamel...paint technology from the 60's. I'd pass. You're better off using spray cans. ;)

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

if its just to get the color you want,then MAACO is alright. my friend had two different cars about 3 tears apart and both had runs and such. :rolleyes:

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If there are runs in the paint, you need to tell them about it.... Your paying money to have a paint job done. Runs are not acceptable and need to be sanded out. Single stage should last 3 to 7 years depending on where you live, because your single stage has both color and clear mixed togather. Base/top coat will last longer, due to the fact that the color is protected by the clear coat.