Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MAACO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Feb 26, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

ok, ok, This is a silly question, but I'm from Ireland, been here in AK for a year and a half and drive a K5.....
    Question.....If I was to take my truck to Maaco, do they do all the prep work (Take off trim, sand, mask off etc etc ) or do I do all that?

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Back in Alabama they painted it just like you brought it to them. If it was dirty they painted over the dirt, if you did not mask all your windows they would paint them as well. You would probably be better off painting it with a roller than going to Maaco

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

The one here they do...but you gotta pay extra for all of that (big surprise). That $299.00 special isn't so special when you get through with that! I just asked about all this last month because I have been wanting a real paint job. Make sure if you get it painted by them and have the color custom mixed you have them write down exactly what they did to do it (From what I have been told they don't always do this). If not and you ever need body work done or a touch up you're in trouble because it might be extremely hard to match it up.

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

4. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

Please don't do that to yourself...I have once inflicted MAACO on myself and from that moment on vowed to save as many potential customers from certain dissappointment as I could. As far as prep work...They will mask off all the big noticeable stuff but your grille, bumpers, frame, undercarriage, and mufflers will recieve a liberal coat of paint, as will the weatherstripping and chrome that is haistely masked by an 18 yr old $5/hr drop out who is disgrunttled with the world and mad that you have a better car than him. The primer coat/step is available upon request only as is the clear coat for an extra hidden cost. If you want paint that lasts longer than a water color painting in the rain invest $1K-$1.5K and get a decent paint job from a decent shop. MAACO is a SLIGHT grade above rattle can spray paint. You will be disappointed with the finished product and mad at yourself for not splurging the extra $500 for a "real" paint job. MAACO has perfected the "scratch and shoot" paint method. The run some 400 gt wet/dry over your truck for about 1-2 hours, then wipe it down with reducer, then shoot a single-stage paint, let the runs harden, wash it, buff down any runs larger than their index finger until they are pencil sized, take your $500-$700 and thats it, forget that it will flake worse than the factory paint in about 3 months. The seams where the weatherstripping mate to the truck will be painted over and will crack the first time the temp changes or you roll your window down. There will hawever, be a distinct wavey line on the weatherstripping where the masking tape was. Well that was my pleasant experiance with MAACO, you decide if the risk is worth it... I wouldn't let them paint my dumpster, they wouldn't know what to do with all of that flat surface but to texture it with runs and flakes...
    you get what you pay for, and any paint job for under $1000 you asking for it...
    Remember, its ok to "just say no"
    Eddie

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

ok, get the picture...Here in Anchorage , Akaska, they offer what they call the 'Ambassador' paint service for $199, I can guess now after reading your comments, what that would look like. Maybe I should let my kids do the truck with their paints haha. Thanks guys, you've obviously saved me money and tears.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Here's another option....Right now I got a $40 primer job on my Blazer....it's gray, white and black camo. Went to the local Pep Boys and loaded up on paint and headed to my friends house where it took us about a day to spray it. Looks pretty dang cool too considering it only cost $40 bucks! Not to mention it gets a spot on it wet it down, sand it off a bit and spray...easiest (and cheapest) fix ever!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Don't do it! I took a car to MAACO once, and will never do it again! They did all the masking and stuff, but did a horrible job! They painted my muffler, got a little on the windows, back seat(????), moldings, and other things. Not to mention that after a few months the paint started to flake off. Not covered under warranty my ass!!!!

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

8. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

If you've got an earl scheib around you and need a cheap paint job I'd recommend them. They did a great job on my rig for the price and so far no problems. They did all the prepwork and put everything back on except my fender emblems. As well I had no hard or soft top on the vehicle then and they had to mask off the whole interior and I found no paint anywhere inside the vehicle. I got mine done for just under $400. I've had it for nearly two years now and will use them again if I ever need another paintjob.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

9. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

Anybody else used Scheib, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I ehard they do good work too. My dad said they used to do the "Earl Scheib - $29.95" paint job and people used to say that for an extra $20 they'd leave the windows open and paint your interior too. They are much better now. They have to be to have survived this long.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

11. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

If the price sounds too good to be true when i comes to any kind of body repair or paint work, it won't be done well, you can bet on it. Just speaking from experience.
    kilomanjaro

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have a friend with a POS BMW that he got painted at Maaco an it looks all right after about 6-8 months now, does look a few years old though, but I think the Maaco here is better. My family is friends with a used car guy and he owns a Suburban place. He gets all of them painted at Maaco, and thye look all rihgt except for the overspary. If I were you, go to Maaco and look at some of the cars they have done and if they are ok, sand it down, tape it off, and primer it yourself and have them paint it.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I took my blazer to "Uncle Earls" I paid 350.00 for my paint job but took it back bcos they didnt sand it before they painted it. They put up a fight but I had pictures of the scratches on my hood before I took it to them. (I had cut a piece of felt for a new headliner and used my hood as a table) My wife took the pic to make fun of me. And if you have stickers remove them they will shoot right over them!!!! All in all they're not bad tho.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

14. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I occasionally work with a guy who owns a respected body shop in our area. he told me that Macco is a joke, and the that 299 special is not so pecial becuase the paint he uses cost more than 299 dollars. He laos said he had a lot of people bring stuff to him from Macco to be fixed or redone. Dont go there, PERIOD.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Maaco's are indivually owned so some differ from others. I have a friend that worked for one in Pa and they did good work considering the price. The owner was always honest with the customers and gave them a fair deal. I have seen some though that I would not let them paint the worst POS in the world. Just see what kind of work they do on other vehicles before you take one there.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

16. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I was quoted $1800 to get my rig painted. This is with no rust and a pretty straight body. They wouldn't do the special because it was a truck. They showed me a truck they just painted and it had hair in the paintjob and overspray all over. I wasn't impressed. Get a quote and look at their painting quality before you commit.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

17. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Having spent all my money on other parts of the truck, I couldn't afford any hired paint job! I had to resort to rattle cans on both trucks, and here is what I found: be prepared to spend alot on sandpaper, prep supplies, a good respirator and Rustoleum (about $350). Also, spend alot of time sanding, priming, sanding, etc., keep a CLEAN workplace, and, last but not least, don't use gloss or even semi-gloss with rattle cans because one can't maintain a wet surface. I had to use flat because I was unwilling to take the time to buff out the halo effect, because it's just gonna get scratched anyway and flat paint is mega easy to touch up. Also, be patient enough to let the 1st coat is dry ( the next day even though that cramps your style--don't be greedy) to avoid runs, drips and orange peel, and don't paint in cold weather. Obviously, get most of the factory paint off first and use progressively finer grits between 100 and 400 (or finer, if you want it to look real pretty). Save money, prevent rust, easy touch up. Each truck took me about 60 hrs of solid work.