Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mabye dumb ?---?'s about double shear and crossover with heims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I am going to start a fullwidth project on my roomates Scout and want to get all my ducks in a row

I am looking at this kit to "keep it simple"

Can you tell me what is missing.

[​IMG]

well I'll tell you---Where does the tie rod go? There is only one hole in each of the arms and there is no "factory" location.

One of my ?'s is.

Is I considered "double shear" if you have the draglink on the top of the passanger side arm with a bolt going through the top and the tierod going to the bottom using the same bolt?

And if not. how would you make (at least) the draglink side in double.

2. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

OK im going to try and answer this one the best I can.

The tie rod goes above and in front of the axle housing instead of down and directly in front of the diff cover where it would go factory. It seems that teh factory position was shaved of or wasnt cast on to the knuckles. The draglink should connect to the steering arm on the passenger side knuckle in the most forward hole. Though it may vary due to clearances.

Yes a soild bolt through a hiem and the x-over arm is considered double shear.

Hope that helps good luck w/ the project. :laugh:

Txchevy18

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd skip on the SRE's and use TRE's. PartsMike should be able to supply those parts as well.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but I don't think what you are describing is double shear. This is what a double shear steering arm looks like:

06122507.jpg

5. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

YA your right I was thinking of a link mount and not ateering arm. Sry about that. Good call 383.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

that is what I understood as double sheer---now how can I make a standard arm into double sheer---is it even possible?

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

not unless you weld onto the steering arm a piece that would sandwich the heim joint.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Um, double shear makes no distinction btwn whether there is a single SRE and two tabs or a single 'tab' and two SRE's.

The problem is what the direction is of each part's force. Suppose a single steering arm and 2 SRE's. One on the Draglink and the other on the tierod, with the steering arm sandwiched btwn them.
    The force direction of the tierod SRE is in the same direction as that of the steering arm when turning. Those two forces are not on either side of the draglink SRE (whose force is in the opposite direction), so the bolt is still being twisted.

For it to work out correctly the draglink SRE would be against the steering arm and have the tierod SRE stacked against it. Not very practical to do.

9. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

I dont mean to sound dumb here but what is a SRE?

Thanx

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Spherical rod end

11. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Hey Dam, dont wean to hijack, but checking to see if you have talked to your friend on those axles?

Dan

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm bumping this thread back up... because I have some questions...

a) 383... who made that arm?

b) Assuming you knew how to weld, is there any reason at all that you couldn't just add a piece of steel on top of a normal steering arm that would make the thing double sheer? Seems like if it was beefy enough and uber-welded (Tig?) that it'd be a hell of a lot stronger than the single sheer set ups that seem common.

I am going to go full hydro... and would prefer double sheer. Doesn't seem like many people do it tho. Even on pirate, where there is all kinds of peeps with hydro...

:thinking:

j

13. SCOOBYDANNN

This is what I figured I was going to do, but, in the end I ended up just using DLE's instead of heims---If I ever cross this bridge again that is what I will do.

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

b) That depends on the shape of the piece added. If it's just a piece of strap bent 90* & stuck on there, then no.
    If it is integrated into the steering arm so that it can take 1/2 the steering load on that knuckle then certainly.

15. jekbrown

c'mon now... even redneck engineering deserves more credit than that. :thumb: :)

j

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I only mentioned it b/c I've seen it done.

17. jekbrown

scary! If I did mod an arm to be double shear it would probably look something like the end of a yota raised steering arm (the ones that go up at an angle and then are flat again where the tie rod attaches) welded to the top of an existing arm just past the studs that attach to the knuckle.

speaking of knuckles... I need to get some bling ones. 44s + full hydro = old stock knuckles = ka-boom!

j