Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mac users please help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhog, Oct 10, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i know nothing about macs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifwhat i need to know is can i take one of my old pc's and install a mac operating system on it? my kids use macs at school and cant work on there projects at home because all we have is windows pc's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not a :cough: :cough: mac user either, but I believe you can.

3. mudhog

im not a big mac fan either but all the schools use them and it would be nice for the kids to be able to bring there home work home lol so all i would need is a mac mouse and the operating system?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Best thing I would do, is call a mac dealer and ask them if you can put a mac os on a windows based computer.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Nope, it won't work.

I won't bore you with all the details (unless you are REALLY curious) but it just won't work. Different code (software) written to address different hardware.

What you COULD do is run whats called an emulator. An emulator is just a program that allows programs to run in an environment that they were not designed to run in.

You could do a search on Google and find a bunch of resources.

Go check out SoftMac at Emulators, Inc. I've used it and it seems to work pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    They also have some other goodie on their web-site that can be useful like a free utility that allows some limited use of Mac diskettes in your PC.

Of course the best idea would be to get our schools to purchase equipment that resembles what is used in a majority of businesses today but that seems to simple.

(OK Mac users ... let the flaming begin!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Schools are using macs?? What the hell are they crying about budget problems for if they spend money so unwisely (simply because Macs tie them to one vendor and one price option)?? I thought Dell gave better breaks for educational facilities than Apple.
    Dang, that's stupid. Kinda proves public school really de-preps you for real life (hold the flames! Just cause in real life there's like 1 mac for every 20 PC's)...

I remember the days we all walked down the hall to the "Computer lab" off the library, and it was a dozen or so Apple IIe's we did math on. Yay.

No knock on mac, btw, I consider them just like betamax and the VCR...

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, you can't "Apple-ize" a PC...

...but you can "PC-ize" a Mac...

I use Macs at my office in addition to PC's. We use a program called Virtual PC on the Macs so that they can talk to the PC's on the network. It is a big headache at times, but hey, I am not the "smart" one who makes those galactically excellent [stupid] decisions... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. mudhog

thanks for the info everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudhog

i agree with you 100% /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif