Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Macco paint

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by BLZN4FN, Oct 26, 2004.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I just bought a few parts from another member. The doors
    are a different color than my K5. So has anyone used Macco to paint your Rig not looking for a show truck paint just something to make the truck all one color you all know rocks dont let a new paint job stay nice very long.
    Let me know what you all think or any pics of your truck painted by them.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Macco uses decent paint (Sherwin Willams) but their prep work SUCKS. 90% of how a paint job turns out is in the prep work. I recommend doing the prep work yourself then taking them to a decent body shop to get them sprayed.

Chris

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    90% of how a paint job turns out is in the prep work.

[/ QUOTE ] I can't agree with that more! the body work makes the difference between a body that looks like it's glass with paint over it or sheetmetal with paint. Just look at how incredibly smooth the fenders are on some of those restored hotrods that are around, smooth as a babie's butt. Thats all in the prep work with a good quality paint.

In my experience you can't get that "glassy" look from any Macco, miracle, shieb because they want to move vehicles and don't spend the time that is required to make silky smooth body panels. that is why specialty shops are so darned expensive! I don't think anything matches the phrase "you get what you pay for" better than shop paint jobs. I have seen decent jobs done by shieb and miracle that look very nice from a few feet away but when you get close you can easily find small runs, overspray, bubbles, and bad body work.

If you are looking to throw on a coat that will look decent and protect the paint than go for it! If you want to cherry it out and want smooth as glass body panels than I would suggest something different.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I had my company truck (85 K30) painted there this past July-ish. They cut out the rust on my bed and sanded out the other spots. Filled and welded in new metal. They have four levels of paint quality & I went with #3. Anyways, mine has already started to chip. If I had the time to deal with it, I would. Since I've put less than 300 miles since having it painted, I'm not impressed.

Just my $0.02

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had my company truck (85 K30) painted there this past July-ish. They cut out the rust on my bed and sanded out the other spots. Filled and welded in new metal. They have four levels of paint quality & I went with #3. Anyways, mine has already started to chip. If I had the time to deal with it, I would. Since I've put less than 300 miles since having it painted, I'm not impressed.

Just my $0.02

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I think I will have Macco paint the K5
    i'm not looking for a high quality paint job just the K5 all one color.

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

save money and do it yourself.

glossy rustoleum /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for me, im getting a $3000 paint job fo free at da school

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

i'm not looking for a high quality paint job just the K5 all one color.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing, because you wont get it. I got one of my cars painted there about 2 months ago. Doh, worst mistake ever. Looked better before I took it in...and thats no $hit.

9. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I had a truck painted at MAACO last year. I picked the second to highest cost paint job. There was no shine to it whatsoever, a ton of orange peel, and paint on every surface that there should not be paint on including the interior, tires etc... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I did a 10X better paint job in my garage with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun for 1/3 the cost.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Update

Was so pissed about the macco thing I sold my car about 2 weeks ago..

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok I just bought a few parts from another member. The doors
    are a different color than my K5. So has anyone used Macco to paint your Rig not looking for a show truck paint just something to make the truck all one color you all know rocks dont let a new paint job stay nice very long.
    Let me know what you all think or any pics of your truck painted by them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting your truck painted like a rainbow wont be cheap. either way... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Macco blows. I took my old pickup there a few years back, already prepped, and got thier $700 job, there was overspray on the tires and windows, runs in the paint, globs of sandbalsting sand in still in the bed painted over (the $500 job was supposed to include a quick block sand, and a whole truck "clean"), I could see the spray arcs in the bed and on the hood.
    They offered to give me half my money back, but I told them I didn't want a crappy paint job for free, I wanted the truck painted right.
    In order to make them do right, I drove my newly "painted" truck there and parked it on the public road right at the entrance of thier driveway, put a lawn chair in the bed along with a big sign that said "This is the Macco Presidential job" (Presidential I think was the name of the $700 job) and sat there for a saturday, thier busiest day for getting new jobs in. They gave me double my money back, I had to re-sand/prep the whole thing and took it to another place, a local, who did the job right.

13. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Damm boy your Loco /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    I dont know how to tell you. But sorry I will not paint my k5 to look like yours.

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I just mine back from maaco this weekend and I am actually impressed with the finish for the $538 I gave them[​IMG]