Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Machine balancing beadlocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Mar 7, 2007.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anyone machine balanced a beadlock rim and tire? I use my blazer for my daily driver and after running 38'' tsl bias swampers on recentered hummer rims (with dyna beads) I now know that It sucks for daily driving. My plan now is to buy a set of radial swampers and either do DIY beadlocks or save up and buy real ones. I just want to know if its possible to balance either one on a machine balancer?

2. solidaxlesub

solidaxlesub 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that ballanced 37" procomps on eaton beadlocks and they ballanced out fine. les schwab ballanced them for him.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I balanced my H1's on a machine...at least the front ones, then the tire shop machine started to overheat.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The DIY's are a waste to balance. The don't center well enough.

5. camok5

So it looks like I need to start saving my pennies for real beadlocks. I get why DIY beadlocks would be hard to balance but I figured that a real beadlock wouldnt be that much harder to balance than a fake beadlock which every company seems to be making these days.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Why I'm helping I'm not sure 'cuz Santa Barbara isn't too far to drive for a nice set of used, re-centered, H1s:D

What is wrong? What's the weight of Dynabeads in each tire? I read somewhere for 38" tires you'll need 16oz of beads.

Even if you can balance a tire I thought Dynabeads are supposed to be better than lead weights:confused:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

bias swampers i found balence best with good old bubble balencer. and static them and be done. if it helps you will know it. if it dont then its a funky tire.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My Walker Evans locks with MT/R's run fine on the road. I run 10oz. of the Dyna Beads in each.

9. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

How do you guys like the Dynabeads? Thinking about trying em. Should probably order a bag for the z71 since a tire change is coming up..

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Since the Dynabeads are expensive I've heard airsoft pellets are an excellent substitute. They come in two weights and to use the heavier ones.

11. camok5

Your about 3 weeks to late because I already sold them:D. I was running somewhere around 14oz of dyna beads. The beads did help but the bias swampers ran better when they where machine balanced on another set of rims. It might have been the beads or it could have been the recentered hummer rims but I dont know. I had to sell both to make enough money for a new set of radial swampers, other wise I would have loved to have kept the rims.

12. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

i've tried balancing my swampers with airsoft pellets and they didnt work worth jack $hit... had them hammer weight balanced and they ride like a dream now, ill soon be able to tell you how my H1s balance out with hammer on weights

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

An option with the DIY's would be to have the wheels (less tires) balanced at a balance shop, like when balancing an engine. They do the balancing by machining metal from the heavy spot (you tell them where they can & can't machine) or by welding on weight. Once that permanent balancing is done, then it's just the tires that need to be balanced.

I don't know of any such shop in SB, but down here in Ventura there's a place on Ortega St. that does industrial balancing.

14. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

I used 6 golf balls in my 35 x 16 - 15 Boggers. I think it worked but I never rode without the golf balls. They seem to ride fairly smooth. When I mount my new 38 x 15 -16.5 Boggers I am going to use 8 golf balls. I read about it on Pirate.

Mike

15. camok5

Is anyone running real beadlocks? I want to know what the differences are between them and which ones people like best? I have seen alot of people running Trail Ready but I can get Allieds cheaper.