Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

machine shop woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

well i just got word back on my 396 that i took into the machine shop, it was apparently sleeved at .60 over and the sleeve is extremely thin. with the freeze plugs pulled it is apparent why it was sleeved, the #3 cylinder is missing a huge chunk out of where the original casting was. they told me it would be about $500 to have a new sleeve and the rest of the block prepped. they seen how thin the sleeve was and stopped working on it until i came down to see it. so with it being bored .60 over and not knowing if i can get away with just a hone job on the rest of the cylinders. im not sure where im gonna go from here. I want a big block though. the owner was gone and i guess he has a 402 block as a spare, but i dont know how much. my heads had 7 bad intake valves but other than that all was good. the heads i brought in were the oval port closed chamber ones. so if i did get this 402 block from the owner what would be a good price if i was gonna use my crank,rods, and heads? all i would really need is the block.

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

that sucks man. i realy cant tell you prices but i do know if you use a 396 crank balancer and flywheel in a stock bore 454 you end up with a 427. i havent ever been much of a big block person but i have owned a 454 and a (396/454 combo) 427 and the 427 was real nice in the low rpm power. i also know 454 blocks can be found for $200 or less in rebuildable form.

balzer