Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

machine work problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 23, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well yesterday I picked up my starter(warrantee) and got my battery all charged I was gonna put them into today to fix the starter prob. UPS said my wheel adapters should be in tomarrow but they came today, so I was really excited. So i put the starter in and everything(with only minor problems) and then start on the adapters well the hubs are 4 5/16 like they are sposta be but the adapters were VERY tight going on them well I got 1 on and tryed to put the wheel not gonna happen the wheel wont clear the hub NOW if i take any more off the hub they will be REALLY skinny (but that not the main prob) and I will have to take out all the bearings drain the fluid clean all the stuff out of the hubs take them to the machine shop have the work dont(wich i dont have the $$$ for) clean them up agin put the bearings back in and put more new fluid in and on top of that I cant park my truck anywhere on jack stands while I do this any suggestions?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Put it up on jack stands, put the truck in Drive, and take some sand paper to the hub.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you really think that would take enough off? mabe if i got it into overdrive running about 70 on the speedometer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Coarse Emery Cloth may work too. I would make sure someone is in the truck working the brakes b/c even at idle those wheels can turn pretty fast and get away from you.

Don't ask how I know... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John

5. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

If your gonna try doing that what about holding a file against the hub while spins???

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you said the hub was tight on the spacer, now if it wasn't just the wheel studs that were tight (they line the spacer to the hub)then your hubs are not machined down to 4.312" dia.. the spacers are 4.345" dia. so they should only fit on the wheel studs and not the hub, looks like the guy that turned your hubs left you with extra work, if he didn't have the hub true to the center they could be off-set.
    If you look at the spacer on the hub, does it look like its off center...
    I'll pm you.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif