Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Machining 454 BBC and crank, how much $$$ to expect?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 4, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am going to be taking my 454 blck and crank in to a to get machined...how much can I expect a good machinist to charge to freshen up the block...I don't even think it needs bored over but I don't have the tools to measure if it really does...So worst case, it needs bored over .030", decked, and the main bearnings saddles need aligned bored/honed...How much $$$ are we talking...I had the same guy rebuild my heads and it was a titch over $300...that was to get them milled .010", valve job, new guides and seals, reground valves or replaced them... I just wan a general estimate to what it mght cost...

Thaks

Chris

2. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Just for reference, I did this stuff this spring..Block prep(cook, magnaflux,brush oil gallery, seal/install new oil and cam plugs, install cam bearings,install ARP main studs,I supplied),110.00...Bore & hone .030 using torque plate,96.00...Parallel block (four corner deck),.020,145.00...Line hone, 80.00...Resize rods,88.00...Install ARP wavelocs(I supplied),15.00...Pressfit pistons,24.00...Turn crank,80.00...balance assembly,125.00...bead blast rods,20.00. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Pretty par on the head work. Had head rebuild(guides,seals,surface,magnaflux) plus bull hog for 2.19/1.88 valves, 3 angle grind, set spring pressure, for a paltry sum of 524.00. We must love these things. Plus at home I blended, relieved, port matched intakes, and cc'd chambers. Bunch of hours and beer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

That sounds good...I am going to have them do what ever it needs...I am getting new connecting rods and pistons so I only have to pay for the wrist pin installation on those...one more question, wat are the chances that my crank will need to be reground...all the journals are in good shpe and you can hardly feel any ridges with your fingernail when you scrape your finger in the axial direction...do you think that will be able to be polished out? Thanks again..

Chris

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Look in your phone book for address of a place called ADC Machine (970-482-1927) ask for Charlie. This guy is awesome!!!!!! He does most of my stuff. He does all the work for a speed shop here in town caled "Outlaw Performance". HIGHLY RECOMMEND Tell him "The guy (Don Nath) from Outlaw Performance" sent you. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif