Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

machining a carrier for other side of the gear split

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by m j, Aug 13, 2002.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

anyone done it?

got this email today
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Mike as much as I want your Lockers I should tell you that with 100 bucks of machining you should be able to put 3.54 gears on them.

All you need to do is take about 100 thou off of the carrier so the wider ring gear won't stick out to far into the pinion.

Phone me if you are around so you can stop in sometime. Also the D70 carrier that I have is 35 spline and has two side gears and spider gears

[/ QUOTE ]

so open D70and D60 carriers are only 2 pin?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

When I purchased the spool for my D70HD the shop I got it from had 2 in stock, 1 for 4.56 &gt; and 1 for 4.10 &lt; . I bought the 4.56 &gt; part but the guy said it would be no big deal to machine a small amount off of one side (and then shim the opposite side extra the same amount) to make the 4.10 &lt; carrier fit the bigger ratios. I never tried it but he acted like it wouldn't be a problem.

From what I've seen most all of the D60 and D70 open carriers have 1 center pin with 2 spider gears. On the old D70 stuff some applications did have an open carrier that was a 2 piece design using 4 spiders and a 4 way center pin assembly (like an open 14 bolt).

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't see why it *can't* be done, the ring gear mounting "pad" is the only thing that is thicker or thinner on one or the other carrier, right?

IIRC, GM did this so that they didn't end up with excessively thin ring gears.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When I purchased the spool for my D70HD

[/ QUOTE ]

wait a second..you have a SPOOL for a 70?
    where? how much? who makes it? full or mini spool?
    if it will fit my dif I have a 35spline d70 Detroit locker with 4.88s for sale!

5. nvrenuf

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Oh yeah baby!

I got lucky a few years ago and found a place (called a shop that said to call another shop that said to call...) out in California that had 2 left overs from a batch of spools they made when truck pulling was real popular. The guy didn't even know he had it! They still had one 4.10 &lt; spool, like I said they didn't know they had them so it's probably still there. I'll find the info tonight and PM you.

I paid like $200 + freight for it. Yes, it is a full spool and it's big and heavy too! Mine is for a D70HD only, my understanding is that it wont fit a regular D70 but I could be wrong. I think the difference is the carrier bearing size, but you might be able to turn down the surface to fit your bearings.

Click my web site link below and go to the "Projects" page. In the top picture you can see the gold anodized spool on the bench below the D70HD, it's sitting next to an open carrier for the same axle.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

where did you say you keep your stuff again?
    do you have a dog? alarm?
    YOU SUCK!
    nice find
    how did I gloss over that last time I was looking at your stuff???
    now I have to learn about d70s to see what I got and what will work...
    I would buy it even if it didnt work to see what it would cost to duplicate
    I can get free shipping from CA if it is still there
    dam I am near drooling

7. nvrenuf

All of the stuff is in the garage, close to the door. There's no alarm, just beware of my 25 lbs, vicious, raging, trained attack cocker spaniel! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dam foiled again /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    those things are loyal defenders to the end

9. nvrenuf

I've put 3 pics of my spool in my Webshots "Parts" album. Go to my website (link below), at the bottom of the Home page there is a link.