Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Made a mistake... how do I fix it?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Calclips, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Okay... I needed cheap lift for my 90 GMC 1/2 ton... so I did what any 16 year old (at the time) would do.... I cranked the torsion bars up and put some blocks in the rear end. I'm smarter now... I hate it and want it back to stock... how do I do it? I know how to do the rear end no problem, but how do I set the torsion bars back to their stock setting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

turn the adjuster bolt the other way

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, I'm aware of that... but is there anybody who knows how many threads need to be showing when it's "stock"?

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

stock doesn't have a set number of threads. your best bet is to just drop the rear, then drop the front to .5"-1" lower than the rear.

just make sure you measure this time and/or next time to adjust them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wasnt even aware you could do that...what do you mean you cranked the torshion bars up? wear are the torshion bars? sorry for dumb questions..

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

torsion bars...no "h"

they are the long bars that run from the lower control arm back to the tbar cross member under the cab. they are the springs for an IFS chevy 4x4. instead of coilovers or leaf springs...they use torsion(twisted force) to support the truck - hence the name, torsion bars.

your 84 blazer doesn't have them /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

you can lift or lower the front end but if you do that you can put stress on front end stuff. damn ifs. lol. j/k. later.

jacob