Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

made in canada block

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Aug 11, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Just a quick run through, pulled the nubmers off my old 350 block, and its a Canada stamped block. This a block like the made in mexico block (aka crap) or is it just a canada block made to US standards? just curious. Need to see if this is a 350 block i can sell to a hotrodder who's asked b4 about it.

2. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Oh great now you guys are comparing us to mexicans!?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It means the block was cast in Canada.... St. Catherines to be exact. It was cast and possibly assembled in Canada to GM standards...... the same as the Mexican blocks, BTW.

FYI St. Catherines makes most of the Gen III V-8's for the now defunct F-bodies, the Vettes( LS1 and LS6) and many of the truck variants.

3. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

You would be better off to just throw it away senor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Hecho in Mexico blocks usually had spots with air in them, dirty webbing, and cast shift. The actual metal and machining was as good as any other block.

Canadian blocks are said to be made of different metals with time but other than that are perfectly fine. Many commercial motors were made in Canada. IE: the 350 4 bolts with heavy webbing found in box vans, motorhomes, and the such.

I've decided that if the block looks good it probably is. I just look for peculiar cylidner wear and cast shift. I also look to see if the webbing and lifter valleys look dirty (full of sand) or unfinished.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

alright, thanks y'all, no insults to our friends north of the border...you gotta put up w/ the yankees /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif