Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Made it home alive! but...(long, but interesting)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boss, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I'll post about the fun at Paragon on the Paragon post, but I had to share this story on how I got home, since it was basically an adventure in itself.
    Well, first, I had a lot of carnage at Paragon. Basically did the "M" trail and the "M" trail extension. (tough trails!)
    Bent one main rear leaf spring built by ORD/Alcan.
    destroyed almost every greasable poly bushing I had. Expecially on my front springs.
    So, I'm towing this 4x8 trailer with my jacks and 5 - 39.5" swampers in there to Philly, which was suppose to be 2.5 hours from Paragon. Almost every bump I hit on the road I would get THE most crazy and scary Death Wobble ever! Now I know how yall with death wobble feel, but I don't think yall ever had it this bad. The steering wheel will shake violently from left to right in my hand. I can't control it. I tried throttling through, but it made it worse, so I basically had to stop the vehicle to stop the wobble. I can't even steer off to the shoulder of the road. There were a lot of pissed off people on the road that day /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Honking and yelling...
    Anyhow, so this goes on for 60 or so miles. I finally found a Truck stop rest area with a huge parking lot to pull in and see what's going on.
    While Fran (my g/f) goes and buys fresh fruits and stuff, I'm under the truck meditating on how I'm going to fix this "bushingless" problem. The thing is, the bushings at the shackle were completely shreaded where it left maybe a 1/2" gap on each side. This was for both of the front shackles. Each bump I hit made the shackle slide left and right. Caused major play in the steering as well.
    First thing to pop in my head was, "Could Duck tape fix this?" /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Nah!

So I'm searching and my g/f is searching the parking lot for something, anything. We found some old shreaded tire rubber on the side. I figure I could use these as the bushings.
    I took them back and cut them up to size and cut a hole in them for the bolt to stick through.(poking a hole through old rubber was a pain!)
    Had to use some rocks in the area to put on my jack to help jack up the frame to remove the shackle (floor jack doesn't reach up to the frame). Crushed a rock in the process...scary!
    Replaced the crushed rock with another rock (all there was in this lot) Put the old tire rubber in there and bolted them tight.
    This took me about two hours.
    Finally got her back on the road and amazingly, the freaking tire rubber was holding up! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I started bracing myself for every bump on the road (and these road has some bumps!), but the truck would try and jerk a little but nothing like before.
    Finally made it into Philly to pick up my sister. The streets of Philly SUCK for driving /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . Potholes everywhere.
    Try to find parking, but everyone wanted $30 or $20 to park for an hour. So, I said the hell with it and just told my sister to jump in and we'll roll.
    So, I'm out of Philly and back on the bumpy highway road.
    All of the sudden, death wobble is back /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .
    Something must've jarred loose in that pothole infested city they call Philly.
    So I do an almost complete stop and then pulled on the shoulder of the road...pissing more people off.
    I go under the truck to try and tighten down the shackle some more. Burned my hand on the exhaust pipe during the process... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    Jump back in and I'm off again. Basically, every bump I hit, I just slam the brake right before and the truck will only wobble a tad.

Hours and hours later, I finally make it home. It's suppose to take 2.5 hours to get from Philly to home, but....
    The whole trip took over 10 hours.
    Truck will be parked until I can get some bushings and a new main leaf for this rear spring. Hope Watson at ORD will work with me on this...the springs were brand new!
    All in all, I was basically "That Guy" on the road yesterday. "That Guy" that was going 20 below the speed limit with his hazards on the whole way. "That Guy" with his hands clenched so hard on the wheel, that it would go numb after a little while. "That Guy" that everyone blows by and beeps and curses at!. "That Guy" that was leaned up on the seat and staring at the road cautiously. That was me! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Glad I'm home and alive.
    One Positive thing to come out of this is, It convinced Fran that having a tow rig as a daily is not a bad idea.
    At this point, if I can't get my truck trailered somehow to Tellico for the Dixie, then there is no way in hell I'm driving it down there "suppose to be" 13+ hours one way trip, b/c I'm sure I'll get some major carnage down there just like up here.....Thanks for listening.
    Boss

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif Glad you made to home safely /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Boss, this is better than that time you cought your self on fire. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Glad you made it home in one piece.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glad you made it back in one piece. Hope you get it all sorted out in time for Dixie.

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Glad you were able to make it home safe and sound. My truck did not make it home on it's own. I am also looking for a tow vehicle; that is the only way I am going to Tellico. Later.

6. Boss

LOL! Oh yeah, I forgot about that...I'm a Clutz aint I. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Bear,

I really hope I can rent something to trailer the truck down to Tellico without costing an arm and a leg. We'll see /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

GOOD LORD! you have the worst luck on road trips. Glad you made it back ok. Hope to see you and Fran at Dixie!

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Note to self, never park close to Boss as his bad luck might rub off on my Blazer. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you guy's made it home!! I really hate what you had to go through to get there though. We had a slow drive home. About 55 most of the way and the speed limit was at 65. But that's another story in itself.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Man, too bad you weren't on this side of PA, you could of PM'd or called and I have some extra bushings laying around!!!

You going to Neuroc???? www.neuroc.com

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good lord man, your luck is worst than mine! How did you manage to shred those bushings like that in one trip? Bent springs I can understand, I've done that. But bushings? Anyway, excellent work in patching it up, that was some good thinking and hard work to pull it off...

12. Boss

Emmet,

Thanks for the offer, I'll make a note of it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.
    Don't think I'll be making Neurocs....looks like fun though. You competing?

Grim, if aint for Bad luck, I don't have any luck! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Baddog,
    Not sure how they shreaded. I'll have to take some pics and show you of what's left over.

Boss

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Anytime! If I can help I will, the bad thing is I dont get much time to check my PM's on the weekdn, but if you are heading my way again, PM me and I can shoot you my cell#! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

*note to self: Find another like Boss. Form on-road Bermuda triangle: me, Boss and Other Guy. Wreak havoc across country. Get swallowed by own misadventures. Have legends spread about our fate* /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

15. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Choung, I'm surprised Fran didn't have you trade the Blazer for a Lexus half way through that ordeal. What a trip to tell the grand kids about someday.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Oldman...remind me never to take you along on a road trip!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Glad to hear you made it though!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

17. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

damn boss...i bet fran was thrilled about all that

i can just see you running with your hazards on and slamming on brakes...WITH NO TRAILER LIGHTS!!!

i bet people were pissed...glad you made it home ok

hey let me know if youre having trouble getting to paragon...i can get ahold of some trailers no problem...all youd have to do is get your rig here...

Later

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey!! If your name was "That Guy", tell them about "thatK30guy"! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif We could be related by names. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Anyways, sounds like quite an ordeal for what was supposed to be a 2.5 hour drive back home. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Just be glad you did make it back home. You could have stranded the truck and left it there in order to get back home and come back to find parts stolen off of it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Not a good thing.

19. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

leaving your rig on the side of the road is not a good option.i for one would rather sleep in my rig for a night than leave it somewhere.probably come back to find it up on blocks with the windows smashed out.ive seen so many nice cars sitting on the side of the road missing one or all windows from people being a$$holes.

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Here's a funny story: A used car dealership in a town 40 miles from me has its store on a very busy intersection and on one of the fastest traffic in the town.

The owner/dealer had parked a ricer car of some sort out on the front row, which is right in front of the side walk, facing traffic.

Evidently, somebody or more than one, thought they had to have the fancy wheels the ricer had, so they jacked up the car onto cinder blocks and removed the tires and rims. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif All around 11:00 p.m. on a busy weekend night. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Yes, they got away with it, too, and the owner/dealer was stumped as to how someone could do this kind of theft on one of the busiest intersections in the town. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Last I heard, the owner/dealer was asking people to keep their eyes open for some tires and wheels up on eBay, just in case. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif