Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Made my own Th350 to NP241 adapter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Feb 3, 2005.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So I have a short shaft 700R4, same as a TH350 output. My NP203 has serious issues and i got a completely rebuilt NP241 with SYE for $100. But no one makes an adapter plate to make this work without using a longer shaft So, I made my own. Check it out. Already had a Jeep friend ask me to make him one.

Fresh off the mill.

Picture4.jpg

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Looks damn good :pimp: However , you need to get down to the patent office asap , that could make you money if you licensed it , that would mean more truck money for you :deal:

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Thats a real good idea, not very many honest people around anymore, maight want to do somthing so that idea dosent get stolen,

looks real nice tho:D

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

patent that shiat!!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sweet man. Why do you have a short output 700R4 though? Did they come factory with that setup or did you swap so you could use the 203?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

when did you get a mill?
    That looks awesome:cool1:

7. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I bought a Bowtie 700R4 with the short shaft so I could someday swap my 203 to a 205 without a problem and I already had the 203 adapter. But I realized the 241 has a better low range and I have a pretty sturdy skid plate I made.

As far as a patent or copyright. My company takes out patents almost on a daily basis and our patent attorney is visiting out building tomorrow, he said he would talk to me then and give me some info.

I don't think it would be worth taking out on a patent but I think there are easy ways to get a cheap copyright to protect the idea.

I now have two orders. One of my jeep friends mentioned it on his club board and someone else wants one. He mentioned that in a jeep it's nice to say short, so this eliminates over an inch. I guess an inch is important in a jeep

I have no idea what to charge.

-Chris

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wouldn't go outrageous but AA would want what like $400?

Yeah when it comes to drivetrain in a jeep, short is a selling word.

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

depend on your cost and time,

for 400 bones I wouldn't consider it, for 200.00 plus shipping I would have a money order on the way.

Alot of times people set there prices right, but that takes out what most people in this hobby want to pay or can afford. Right now I can count five people that have there trucks down, when the repair is just over a couple hundred bucks. So if you keep the dream with in reach....

if you are interested in making these available, maybe a intro price to get them out there? I guess the biggest thing is to think about what you would want to have to pay for the adapter if you had to purchase it:grin:

at any rate keep us informed!

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cant see the picture...

Wish I could see it!--but I have to be a member first-- Hey Sickquad,I have a NP203 out in my shed from my 74 K20,I put a NP205 in it right after I bought it--I'm not sure what shape its in,it drove the truck home fine when I bought it,but after I took out the lift kit and 36 inch tires,It would jump out of gear once in a while--I think the shifter was out of adjustment,the previous owner took the front driveshaft out and drove the truck in the "loc" position,not sure if this might have wounded it--
    -Anyway,I have the T-case and the adapter to a TH350 tranny and the shifter if you are interested--and my 74 K20 is going to the crusher soon,I just smashed my drivers side mirror on my 82 K20 backing it in the garage:blush: ,so I'm going to start stripping the 74,starting with the drivers side mirror!

..it has a NP205,coupled to a TH350,and 8 lug SF rear end,10 bolt 8 lug front,with 4.10's,and the 400 SB motor,no reverse,and rusted to death--sorry I havent called you,I have been sick this week,finally starting to feel good again,frigging blizzard knocked me for a loop..caught cold from getting wet and cold shovelling snow....:mad:

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Diesel, no problem. Got a good deal on a fresh NP241 and made my own adapter.

Do you know of anyone around here that lengthens driveshafts? I need to make mine longer now. I usually do it myself but the welding room and lathes at work are being rewired and the floors are being stripped. So it will be a couple of weeks until that part of the shop is up and running. So I need to find someone who can make mine longer. Know of any shops around besides the one in Stoughton?

Hope you feel better. Everyone is sick around here, it's disgusting. Something nasty going around. My boss has been out all week sick though, so I can't complain.

Thanks
    Chris

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

drive shafts.....

I dont know of anyone offhand,its been a few years since I had a shaft altered-I usually go to middleboro auto salvage,they have a big pile behind the casheirs shack if you cant find one from a truck in the yard--I could ask around,there is one guy who does them,but my friend knows him,I dont even know his name--if you dont mind spending the cash,try Capeway Bearing in Plymouth,they sell yokes and drivshafts,and modify them,also South Shore Bearing in Quincy,and Cockcroft in E.Providence,but they are all fairly expensive,and might not be able to do it right away..

A small machine shop near me gave me a good deal on an adapter I had them mill out for a carb,to adapt a 4bbl onto the 250 six I had in my C10--They are located on RT44 right across from Muckey's package store in the industrial park,right next to Gasoline Alley(the place that used to sell and fix lawnmowers,before they went belly up)--they might be able to help you at a reasonable price...

I also have a few rear driveshafts kicking around,one from a 71 4x4 suburban,that had a 127.5 inch wheelbase,and is 5 inches around!--I think I might have some others too,but they might be car driveshafts--if you can get a measurment,I can check the one I have and see if its close--it might be cheaper to have one shortened than lengthened,if you need a longer one than your stock one a shortbed or longbed pickup one might fit....:crazy:

13. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Chris,
    This is a great idea and a fantastic looking adaptor!
    The only thing I can think of to make your new adaptor even better would be to have a series of "clocking" holes for the 241's round pattern.

Got an idea on what one of your adaptors with extra holes would cost me?

todd

14. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Also thinking in other directions-
    Have you thought of making an adaptor to mate the 208/241 with a short output shaft T400?
    ...with clocking holes, no less!

The T400 comes in 3 versions:
    NP203- really short = ~1 3/8" shaft stickout
    NP208/241- medium length = ~2 1/2" shaft stickout
    NP205- really long = ~4 1/2" shaft stickout

This is quote from Stephen Watson:
    "The TH400 was available with the NP203 in heavier duty trucks (3/4 and 1-ton generally) in approximately '78-'79. The factory configuration uses a 1 3/8" stickout 32 spline shaft in the TH400, a 32 spline input gear in the NP203 and a 1.1" adapter plate between the two, somewhat similar to the TH350 adapter plate. This is the shortest way to mate the TH400 and NP203."

Man, this adaptor would be a dream to some...

15. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The bolt holes could be change easy enough by pressing three buttons. Edit, Rotate, enter degrees.

I'm going to mount this one up and then figure out how much I can rotate without any problems for my next one once I finish a little body lift.

I'm in the process of making 1.5" spacers to use under my body mounts.

I told the two Jeep freaks that want these $220. The material is really expensive in low quantities. My time isn't cheap either!!!!:grin:

-Chris

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

thats a fair price!:D

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

as it sits right now, it looks like it may be hard to get the bottom bolt in for the tcase. nice idea though. dam good price also. :saweet:

18. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    How thick of plate did you start with?