Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Magic of Low gear in the Sm465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 7, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I used to regret that i got a Sm465 b/c i sucked at driving stick, now im better and I am VERY thankful that i have it!
    I ws on the traila nd it was pretty muddy and i fell in some 40" ruts. In 4low and 1st i spun my tires. So i just stuck it in low lifted off the clutch till it caught and it just crawled out. Amazing! =D None of my buddies w/ auto could just crawl out, they just spun their tires =D

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

That's pretty cool!

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

I loved mine too. I HAD to keep the low gear when I went with a new trany, so I went with the NV4500. I also added a gen 2 doubler behind it. If you can do this, I highly recommend it! I can walk up about anything!! 115:1 in 1st gear and doubler low!

Manual tranies rock!!! Autos are perfect for the afternoon commute and getting groceries!!! (just kidding guys)

I'm just a big fan of the grany gear that the SM465 and NV4500 have!

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

115:1 !?!?!?!

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

6. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

6.34 (1st gear) x 3.96 (double low) x 4.56 (gears) = 114.485 or 115:1 crawl ratio.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.4lo.com>www.4lo.com</a>

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Float stuck in the "full" position going up a pass in Oregon last weekend. (meaning no gas in the carb) I was able to turn the truck around with the starter easily, thanks to low gear, to get the nose pointed down hill. Again, thanks to the SM465, I was able to coast downhill in 2nd, pumping fuel against the stuck carb needle, until the fuel pressure freed the needle, and compression started it...so even HAD I killed the starter moving the truck, I coulda still started it. Lets see ya do that with a 700 :)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

There is a guy at work that has a 72 K5.
    Just today we were discussing "the better tranny"
    He has a BBC/ TH400 and 38.5x11 boggers on his.
    he told me that his rig has been down for 2 years cause of the tranny blowing up and to do it "right" it will cost him mucho denero to fix it.
    I like my 465 just fine. [​IMG]
    I have gotten pretty good at bangin gears in a hurry.
    BTW he blew his tranny towing another rig 6 miles in reverse in the snow at 4-6grand.
    And still drove the 2 hrs home.
    I am the 4th K5 owner at work and the only one with a puter.
    But I have spread the CK5 news. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your Friend needs to find a new mechanic, Chissle some of the concrete off his right foot and buy a tranny cooler. Parts to rebuild the TH400 is about $150 including a rebuilt converter. Other than a shift improver kit there is not much else you need to do to them. He should be able to get that tranny rebuilt for $400 if he removes it himself.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When I took in my 400 out of my pickup it cost me $860 to have it rebuilt. There was one other place that did them way cheaper but they had a crappy rep.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Usually I don't try to crawl out of anything. I don't know what kind of surface you were 'wheeling on, but where I go, spinning your tires is how you keep moving. "Crawling" is completely out of the question, no matter how big your truck is (two of my friends have 44s, others have 38"+ tires too)

BFG tires work well though, don't they???

I have an auto now--I'm swapping it for an SM 465 ASAP. As in, as soon as I can get the money for the clutch. I've already got tranny/transfer in the garage.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

There's a local guy who advertises in the Nickel Ads that did a good job for me that does them for under $400. I can probably find his card if you're ever in need of another rebuild.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Crawling is a must here. (or at least some of us recognize that fact)

Just last weekend (same one on the trip) I did some scouting for hunting season. Idiots out wheeling in an area (Not illegal there yet, but the Forest Service doesn't like people making messes and tearing stuff up) where we hunt, using a route we use to cross a creek (bridge wiped out years ago) spin their tires climbing up out of the creek crossing. Not only is it unnecessary (4lo, tranny lo, low rpms just slowly climb out and up the incline) its also a great way to have areas shut down for silting up streams and ruining wildlife habitat.

I understand you run in mud, so spinning tires makes perfect sense and is necessary, (so I'm not saying not to do it) but on public land out here, doing that (and dumping trash) will only get it closed down.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree, I love my SM465, its one of the best mods done to date. I will save money for the Gen2 Doubler soon. I bought my SM465 and NP205 cheaper than it costs for a rebuilt Auto.

Next mod on my list is a hand throttle and some minor cosmetic changes (rocker skids). Tim, we are planning a Potosi trip for this fall, Potosi is located about 1 hour south of St. Louis. Think you coud drive up from Tulsa? Thats what overdrive is for!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>