Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

maglite battery removal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fourwheelerjeff, Dec 12, 2005.

1. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i have a few maglite flashlights, the AA size, that the batteries have apparently leaked in, and now i can't get the batteries out. i have them soaking in some baking soda to try and get them out. i guess it might be my fault since these were left over from my army days and probably still have the same batteries in them. any ideas?

also, a brinkmann 3D cell that the switch doesn't work on, any ideas?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should be able to take both ends off of the maglight I think. I don't have one in front of me, but take off the battery cap and the head, and tap them out with something.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've also heard that soaking the battery tube (with the batteries still in obviously:haha: ) in vinegar. Never have had to try but is rumored to do the trick.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I had a 3 D cell maglight that had batterys that froze and leaked...due to my neglect. After I got them out, i attempted to clean the inside of the tube with everything I could think of, then shot some spray paint down the tube. Threw some new batterys in and it worked great...check them a week later and they were already covered in rust from the previous leaking. I junked it, after words a friend told me he soaked in in some kind of oil after it happened(to his AA just like yours) and it worked never had a problem again, I couldnt tell you what kind of oil it was I havent seen him for about 6 months now. If I recall he just kept smacking it against a 2x4 in his shop and they eventually came out.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

On our maglight's they gone apart on both ends-you have to have some way to change the lightbulb thingy.
    Or if you have the kind that is just one end, with the light and battery cap in the same spot, try tapping on the batteries with a piece of wood and a hammer to loosen them up.

Good luck.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've found that the first time you whack somebody with your Mag light, the end usually flies off and the batteries follow it. Then you have to chase down the parts and hope the recipient doesn't get up and run in the meantime......:whistle:

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I sent mine back to eveready crap batteries... so i left it in the trunk for months in 150 degree heat... anyway they paid for it.... and sent me a nasty note not to do that again (I didnt mention the heat)

I use duracells and have never had the problem... but Im more careful about where I leave them...

Now Jeff... remember.. Ching song brand batteries have a warranty... 30 seconds or 30 feet :)

9. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My Snap On dealer told me about their partnership with Energizer. My AA Mag did the same thing, I sent it to them (Maglite) and they sent me a voucher for the purchase of a new one. It happened to one of my D cell lights too, but I got it cleaned out ok.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hehe, I am not the only one.... :D

If you want to clean them up yourself (reamer, etc...) do this:

*remove the little rubber cap
    * you should see a hole in the middle of the button
    * through that hole is an allen set screw anchoring to the other side of the tube
    * loosen that an you should have access all the way through with the end caps removed

;)

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

battery cleaner..

An old timer I knew who ran a battery shop in the good old days when they had tar tops and cells could be removed and replaced said nothing beats ammonia for removing the green crud that grew on the battery terminals,that and HOT water!..maybe that would remove the corrosion from the batteries enough to get them out?...they sell "Battery Terminal Cleaner" at parts stores too..another possibility?..

I have a "Bright Star" flashlight my dad got from the Gas Co. he worked at..the "Bright Star" batteries were all popped and coroded in it,but I managed to get them out..I soaked it in ammonia and hot water (it had a plastic case) for a few hours,and it came out clean as a whistle..still works too..I had to wire brush the spring inside,and the switch contacts with a dremel tool,and I think I took off the copper plating,but it seems to work ok..

I noticed on one of the batteries it said they would repair or replace any flashlight damaged by battery leakage..I didn't bother trying to send it to them,I figured it would cost more than a new flashlight..:crazy: