Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Magnaflow versus Flowmaster

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kit, Feb 15, 2006.

1. kit

kit Registered Member

Has anyone got an idea of which is louder, the magnaflow 12255 or the Flowmaster deltaflow 50 series?
    I'm one of the odd ones actually looking for a quiet dual system.
    Thanks for any thoughts
    Kit

2. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not sure about that particular magnaflow, but I put two magnaflows on my TBI 350 and I think it ended up being less noisy than the stock system. I promptly cut that out and put on a single 40 series flowmaster so I could hear it over my Boggers.

3. fordtruggy

fordtruggy Registered Member

I think magnaflow will be quieter.

4. kit

kit Registered Member

The reason I ask is that, I took my blazer in to a shop that I trusted for years, and asked for a good compromise between better performance and a quiet exhaust. I got the thing back with a stainless steel straight back dual system with no cats and 4"x9"x11" magnaflows. Idling sounds fine but with acceleration sounds like a harley, but louder.
    I've been arguing with him to get him to put on the manufacturer recommended magnaflows, which are 5"x11"x22" and dual core. He wants to insist that it will sound the same, and that they are too big. The 50 series flowmasters are smaller and would fit.
    The problem is that I had always dealt with the father and had no idea that Jr. was such a shmuck.

5. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

I went down that road too. The Magnaflows looked great (SS) and sounded great unless I got on it, then 'BRRRRRAAAAAATTTTT'. Nothing more than big glasspacks. Damned embarrassing if you ask me. I swapped them out for Flowmaster 50s and am much happier now.

6. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i dont know what one is under my suburban other than its a single magnaflow and not SS its not loud like flowmasters but has a nice deep tone that rumbles i like the way it sounds alot its also 3" and no cat

balzer

7. kit

kit Registered Member

Should I assume that these guys did me no favor by running dual 2 1/4" pipes, instead of one 3"? It's so close on the passenger side that it vibrates and would leave little room to clock the transfer case, but other than that, would a single 3" breath as well?

8. kit

kit Registered Member

Yep, same thing with me. I suppose that some of the kids like that sound, but I'm grown, and it is embarrassing.
    Another problem is that the dual exhaust doesn't seem to give me enough back pressure and takes up too much space on the passenger side. In fact, I don't believe I could clock my t-case now. I wonder if going with a single 3" would be better?

9. zhgrou6

zhgrou6 Registered Member

I installed a flowmaster 9425502 in January. Series 50, delta flow. Single 2.5" in and dual 2.0" out. Performs as advertised - low pitch tone, not too loud. It starts to roar a little when I get on it but definatly not the glass-pack sound. I think you would like the 50 series 3 chamber delta flow. I also think I got a performance boost over the brand x muffler I had before - a little more torque...

10. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I have the flowmaster 40's and dual 2 1/2 pipes on my crewcab w/ healthy 454 and it's to dang loud but it does sound nice and set's off car alarms . I don't know how quiet the 50's are but I may just my try them . My buddy has dual magnaflows and 3" pipes on his 71 chevy w/ 454 and it's loud but doesn't a nice as the flowmasters .

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Dual 2-1/4" and a single 3" have about the same volume with the duals having more that the single. My 78 k5 came with dual ehaust, but I like the looks of true duals. As soon as I can afford it Im planning on putting a new 2-1/4" dual system on my 74 k5.

12. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

just wondering how much and where can i get em and what exactly are they the magnaflows that is.

13. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i cant say anything about performance gains of the single 3" magnaflow because it was on there when i bought it (and i havent got the trans replaced yet.) i usualy run 2-5/8 true duals and LONG glasspacks(preferabley the blue streak brand for the "cups" inside) but i do know i over kill exhaust when i have it done i prefer a DEEP rumble rather than the poppy redneck kid sound most have. i wont run a flowmaster because 1 i think they are WAY overpriced and 2 i think they have an empty beer can sound. as to the guy that said he likes the looks of true duals? i guess when your wrenching on your truck under it the look is impressive but most people would never know the differnce unless you told them and pointed it out i agree dual looks better but it dont havre to be true dual for the look i will probably have a y put in my burb and have one on either side of the frame straight out the back with 4"x24" tips

balzer

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i see alot of the pro engine builders running magnaflow's on their engine builds