Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Magnesium Wheels???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I've been looking for a set of aluminum ET slot wheels but for 6 lug and for trucks. The exact wheels that Lara (muddin4fun) has on her truck. I found a set but I'm told they are magnesium instead of aluminum, I haven't seen a pic but supposidly they look exactly the same as the aluminum ones. Is this bad, should I not buy them?? Whats the biggest difference between mag wheels. I don't wheel and the biggest tires will be 31". They are the right size 15X8 6 lug and off an 83 burban so the back spacing must be the same if not really really close, the truck also had 10 bolts like mine. I just want to know if they are worth it, or wait until I find the aluminum ones. Will i be able to tell the difference?? I'm picky so thats a factor. Thanks for your help in advance.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has had mag wheels since I was 9. They have taken some serious abuse. If they are as stout as mine, I say definitely go for it.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks man. I don't care what they are made out of just as long as they look good and don't break. I'm a pavement pounder so not a lot of stress going on. Thanks again and any one else can you please give me your thoughts thanks again/
    Ben 87 Jimmy

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The racing circuit outlawed magnesium wheels because of the fire danger. Magnesium burns so hot that it will not even leave any ash or soot behind and spraying water on it only makes it hotter. Stick with aluminum. Even though the likly hood of a fire may be low, it is still a consideration. If you put larger tires on the brakes may get hot enough on a grade for ignition. Also, I think the magnesium burns like Nitro-methane, it burns but you don't see it.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

It burns with a very intense white light. Very visable. Leaves
    a mess like burnt aluminum.

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Magnesium is lighter than aluminum but more brittle and generaly more exspensive. Wack a curb real good and its
    broke. An aluminum wheel is more likley to dent or bend more
    than mag. before breaking.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive seen and done a few magnesium reactions and the amount of enery you need to but into magnesium to start a reaction is intense, Especially with the amount of magnesium you would need to heat up in a wheel. But if you ever got it to go You could say good bye ot everything around the wheel. axle brakse suspension. It would all be burnt to a crisp.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

8. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Ok, I guess I'll have to pass on the bleach burnouts from now on [​IMG] I don't think heat will be my problem. I still gotta see pics of it and talk price, but I think if they are good, I'm gonna get them. Unless someone has had a problem with them with their daily driver spontaniously combusting or somthing crazy like that. The wheel splitting in two while drivining down the highway. Thanks again guys.
    Ben 87 jimmy

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

REAL magnesium wheels are really hard to find anymore. Alot of wheels made froom aluminum but styled like magnesium wheels are grouped by people under the term "MAG " wheels. Magnesium is VERY brittle, and therefore not suited to hard offroad use, but they are quite light. I'd stay with aluminum wheels for your truck, cheaper and stronger.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 35"TSL's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

The wheels I have are magnesium. It's what they used before they went to aluminum. They're good wheels. And I'll be selling mine soon. [​IMG]15x10's 6 lug.
    Micky Thompson's version of those types of wheels are going for 200 bones a piece!

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>