Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Magnet in 14bff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jun 29, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I pulled the cover on my 14BFF that I picked up yesterday to clean it out...I pulled the magnet out from the bottom of the case...What should I use to keep it in? I was thinking JB weld or some other type of metal epoxy...

Thanks guys...

Chris

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

UHH, since it is a magnet it will stick by itself. It isn't like it is going to move or anything, Unless it losses it magnetic forces.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The one off of mine was held in by some sticky stuff. I would use a dab of JB weld to hold it in place. God forbid that thing would some how come out of place and get caught in the R&P you would be SOL /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i used a small amount of silicone to hold mine in place /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Those magnets are held in by epoxy glue. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, NEVER just lay the magnet on the floor of the differential housing. Any hard driving or bouncing can make the magnet move or fall off and get caught in the ring and pinion and cause some breakage or other damage. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Always glue this back to the floor. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Wes, good idea, I never looked at it that way, I guess when your skid plate IS your diff it makes more sense. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. OffroadBeast

OffroadBeast Registered Member

make sure that MAGNET is secure! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif if not you may be looking for another rearend like we were. we were not even wheeling when one came lose in our rearend and destroyed everything. (was in there when we bought the truck) /forums/images/icons/frown.gif was helpful when we were pulling all the parts out though /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i heard jb weld was the best just make sure no contact wherever you put it at...