Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Magzine subscriptions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, May 5, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

What 4x4 magzine does everyone like? which one is more pro blazer?
    Peterson??
    Four Wheeler?
    4x4 Power?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I usually check 'em all out. I'm an old diehard magazine freak. I prefer Off-Road due to their race coverage, but I don't know if you guys care much about that. I like 'em all!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

They are usually all good b/c they have a lot of articles dealing with the 73-87 pu's and any thing that has to do w/ 73-87 Chevys can be applied to a Blazer. I like to read Four Wheeler, they had a project Blazer going on but they also have a lot of jeep stuff like the others and they are the oldest magazine, I believe.

Money-->Blazer

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

4x4 Power has helped me the most with my Blazer. Peterson's comes in 2nd place. Four Wheeler is cool and I don't like Off-Road that much...too many wussy show trucks with 44's on 10 bolts.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. lowlevel2

lowlevel2 Registered Member

LOL 44's with 10bolts.I have a subscription to Fourwheeler mag and read all the others.All of them need to start dropping there "pretty" show trucks.I like reading about the blue collar guys building they're rusted, three different shades of primer "bulletproof" trucks.heh...

89 SUB
    75 CHEVELLE
    76 CUTLASS

6. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

i read'em all (subscribe to them all too) should get a discount or somthing. my order would be
    1 power
    2peterson
    3 four wheel

i like power cause they seam to be more focosed on the beater and "real man" for the most part anyway

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

7. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

how do you guys store them?

I was just curious how all of you store your mags. i'm realy starting to get a lot (four years worth now plus field and stream, pointing dog journal and a couple of car mags) .........anythoughts would be cool thanks

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

8. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

IMHP, I think that 4 wheeler and the other similar mags are lackeys for the automakers. They sit back and test all the new trucks and parts and tell you that this model or that model has everything but the kitchen sink and it's "ONLY" 30 Grand. "We love it, so why don't you go out and buy one". That way we can continue getting our ad money and continue driving these nice trucks. Yuppie mags. I do however like 4x4 Power and have a subscription and enjoy their DIY articles and pics of their readers trucks, especially all the beaters that don't look so great, but are loaded with equipment. They also have great articles on what to look for in junkyards and how to I.D. them.

Just my 2 cents,

Phil
    82K5

9. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I subscribe to all the 4x mags except for Offroad cause I dont' like it but I don't subscribe to 4wheel and sport ute either cause that's all those crappy jeeps,, On the storage issue Wal-Mart sells these plastic magazine holders that holds bout a years worth of a single mag. I like them cuase they are sturdy , come in different colors, semi cheap ($2 a piece i think) and they are cool..

PS No takers on my blazer huh?

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Re: how do you guys store them?

Why not get a scanner and save them on CDs. That way you'll great grand children will learn how we four-wheeled in the 20th century[​IMG].

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: how do you guys store them?

I get "Chevy Trucks"(bi-monthly mag), 4x4Power, and Peterson's 4 Wheel. I definately like 4x4Power, Its a tough mag. Peterson's is good too, but not as good. It is thicker though, comes with a lot more pages. "Chevy Trucks" is ok, but it is mostly about 2WD lowriders, although this past month they did do a section on 4WD, and the writer said, he doesn't know nothing about 4WD trucks. I have a couple 4Wheeler mags that I bought from stores, but I don't like them too much. Too many show trucks. So, if you're gonna get one, get Power, if two, then Power and Peterson's.
    Boss

12. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Like alot of the others, I get all 4 mags; the three you list plus 4x4 Power. For years, I would have ranked them Petersen's 4 Wheel, then Four Wheeler, then Off-Road. I've only been reading 4X4 Power for a couple of years but it has fast become my favorite. Most all of their articles are USEFUL. You take the March 2000 edition; if it wasn't so darn useful with the Blazer/Jimmy Blueprinting section, I would framed it!! Every month, their issues have the most useful articles.

I agree with one response in the sense that most of the two big ones time is spent being more like a car show; showing you impractical products or the same ones over and over and over again. If I had to offer one criticism; it would be Four Wheeler's Readers' Ride section. They tell you about "Joe Blows" many hours at his truck and the fact that "...the Blue paint job took hundreds of hours..." and he lives in "...BlahBlah, Pretendville..." My comment to them in an email was who cares about that and the fact that his mother thinks he's wonderful!!! Tell me about the truck specs!! For example, tire size, lift, engine mods, axles, wheels, etc. They replied it would make for boring reading! Well, now I just look at the pics in the FW reader's ride section and skip the reading if tires size and lift aren't there.

Sorry to ramble, just got started and had to vent!

Brian